Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Using Plex on the Xbox One, I'm getting pausing on the latest update.

Zman2k16Zman2k16 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm a very inexperienced PMS user, so I'm not sure what settings to put into what category. I'm trying to use my XBO to stream from my QNAP NAS with a 2.41 dual core Intel processor and 8Gigs of RAM. I'm a PlexPass member for the year, and there was a firmware that worked great, but they updated PMS, and now all I get is "There was a problem trying to play this media", so I've been trying with the latest update. I have "Direct Stream" and "Direct Play" turned on on the XBO. I have a problem with movies from 2009 and back. Anything newer, plays fine. I have noticed that Universal titles play no matter the year. Everything else, I get about 5 seconds in, then it pauses, then plays, then pauses, etc. I'm trying to play h.264 MKV bluray rips, and I'd rather not degrade the quality by using something like Handbrake, or take up the remaining space in my NAS using Plex "Optimized" versions. I was hoping someone is doing what I'm doing, and can fill me in on settings.

Thanks.

Best Answers

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,839Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

To first try and figure out what is happening it would be helpful to see your Plex Media Server.log file when attemping to playback one of these skipping files. Without that, all we can really do is kind of guess.

With that being said, if these are all bluray rips I would first check to see if they are all indeed h264 as some bluray rips are VC-1 which will cause issues. This is because VC-1 is single threaded and limits the amount of cores that can be used to 1. The next thing I would check is if subtitles are enabled. Currently, the Xbox One app needs to burn subtitles into the video stream which means the video stream needs to be transcoded to accept the subtitle stream.

Those are the two most common issues on the Xbox One app that match similarly to what you are seeing, but your logs will help immensely in figuring out what is going on.

• Zman2k16Zman2k16 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for answering jmckee. I knew I was forgetting something, here's the log file for the skipping movie AEon Flux.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=14yDkZD8zx7cj_0f6l4pPpC9SEg-VTb5nNu79j0IpfLg

• Zman2k16Zman2k16 Posts: 24Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So, if I understand you correctly, it's not how I have it set up, as I have it set for straight passthrough and Direct Play. It's a limitation of the app, where it doesn't have the DTS player installed or incorporated. So it transcodes. And my NAS doesn't have the horsepower to transcode fast enough. So I'm kind of stuck until Microsoft releases the code for DTS to Plex, and they can incorporate it into the app.

What doesn't make sense, I have DTS HD-MA movies made after 2009 that play fine. And Universal DTS HD-MA titles from any period that play fine. Is this a case of "It doesn't have to make sense, it just is."?