Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Samsung Dex

i7iceguyi7iceguy Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited April 25 in Android (mobile)

For those that do not know, Samsung released a Dex dock for their new flagship phones. It turns the android phone into a full screen desktop pc. I am wondering if Plex has any plans to support this. All articles I read mentions the app needs to have the ability to resize the window for it to work.

Answers

• spikemixturespikemixture Posts: 1,240Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I assume plex will play as it would on the phone !!
    It might be at 16.9 as no Monitors are the 18:9 (or is it 18.5:9) of the S8

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I give MY opinion from MY experience!

So much importance is put on the processing power of your PMS box.
    I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• dusanzkdusanzk Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm also very interested in this. I plan on getting the Dex soon and having a Plex client which supports it would be great. After talking to a few delevopers (not Plex developers) it seems rather easy to add support for Dex or Android Nougat (apparently it grants the same functionality either way). Does anyone from Plex look through these forums or is this only for users/customers ?

• widdaswiddas Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a dex dock and unfortunately plex only plays in a phone size window. It would be great if plex was updated to play in a full screen window like most other apps.
    Looking forward to the app update.

I would guess chrome goes full screen?

Try opening plex in chrome?

Plex related : NAS Synology 1817+ & 1815+, 3x NUC (Skull i7, i5 & i3), Drobo 5N and 2 Nvidia Shields - 2017 and 2015 Pros
    Client hardware used or using - Shield 2015 (pro and 16gb) and 2017 pro, ATV4, Xbox 360 and one, Fire stick and TV, windows PMP, Raspberry PI, Roku Stick and 3 and 4 plus several Android Phones and Tablets.

I say equal or more should be put on correctly formatting and optimizing your media !

• caine.lloyd.nielsen@gmail.comcaine.lloyd.nielsen@gmail.com Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    via Email
    This should be a feature. What a great idea.

*Caine J Lloyd*
    *308 W Amiron Way, Orem UT, 85057*
    *cccannon.com *
    *caine.lloyd.nielsen@gmail.com *
    *(385) 235-2408*
    Facebook - Instagram
    - Linkedin

Caine J Lloyd
    277 W 1140 N State St, 85057, UT
    caine.lloyd.nielsen@gmail.com
    (385) 235-2408

@spikemixture said:

It works, not in complete full screen, but it's the same as suggesting to open Plex through Chrome on your Android/iOS device.

edited May 17

@dusanzk said:

@spikemixture said:

It works, not in complete full screen, but it's the same as suggesting to open Plex through Chrome on your Android/iOS device.

I just opened plex.tv in chrome on my s8+ and get full screen after clicking the little diagonal arrows bottom right!

@spikemixture said:

@dusanzk said:

@spikemixture said:

I just opened plex.tv in chrome on my s8+ and get full screen after clicking the little diagonal arrows bottom right!

You're absoluteley right, it works full screen in Chrome, i must have been thinking about Netflix or using the Samsung Browser.

In any case the resolution and framerate are nowhere near as good as when watching through the app itself or through a desktop with the same screen resolution.

There's also no way to sync media for offline viewing/listening this way.

• hbourne@me.comhbourne@me.com Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited July 11

It would be really nice if the Plex Android app suppported the DeX dock (there is an SDK for it on the Samsung Dev site) especially for sync but untill thats been added the chrome fullscreen works well.

• 98549854 Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Same her want to alrady get tablet view in DeX should not be that hard maybe just a matifiest chnage

Main Server: Kongou Media 5 (Debian Linux) running on VMware ESXi and NuStor Unified Storage System
    Secondary Server: Kongou Media 5 Express (Debian Linux) running on VMware ESXi and NuStor Xi Storage System (Offsite/High Availability)

• 98549854 Posts: 50Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Workaround:
    You can enable DeX developer mode by going to DeX Settings > About > Tab the logo 5 times
    This will enable #1 overide the app block that allows some apps to not run, #2 allows for all apps to run as windows
    Then go to About in Settings and Tap the build number 5 times to enable android developer mode and enable the last option that says "Force activities to be resizable", Reboot your phone.

Now you can resize any app and make them full screen (including plex)

Main Server: Kongou Media 5 (Debian Linux) running on VMware ESXi and NuStor Unified Storage System
    Secondary Server: Kongou Media 5 Express (Debian Linux) running on VMware ESXi and NuStor Xi Storage System (Offsite/High Availability)

• TiseTise Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@9854 said:
    Workaround:
    You can enable DeX developer mode by going to DeX Settings > About > Tab the logo 5 times
    This will enable #1 overide the app block that allows some apps to not run, #2 allows for all apps to run as windows
    Then go to About in Settings and Tap the build number 5 times to enable android developer mode and enable the last option that says "Force activities to be resizable", Reboot your phone.

Did you manage to play anything?
    I just got the Dex station and got it to show somewhat full screen, but it could not play synced or streamed videos.

• TiseTise Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@Tise said:

@9854 said:
    Workaround:

Did you manage to play anything?
    I just got the Dex station and got it to show somewhat full screen, but it could not play synced or streamed videos.

Nevermind.
    Must have been something wrong with my syncage. Tried to resynd a new video and it worked. Perfect, this Dex station is perfect for work and when traveling.