If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex player on newly purchased Amazon Fire TV not showing as a player

stealth4503stealth4503 Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've got a fully automated/smart Savant home and have recently (this week) purchased a new Amazon Fire TV despite the fact that I have smart TV's in every room. I did this because I've also recently incorporated Alexa into my Savant system. Everything has been amazing and working great except for the fact that Alexa seems to not recognize plex players running on any of the televisions very. At this moment, I have turned all other devices off in my home except the new Fire TV and Alexa says it is unable to locate any players on the network except for the actual server that I'm logged into. I've rebooted, re-discovered, etc. and nothing seems to be working. Any ideas what I could do to get the plex app on either the fire tv or my Samsung smart tv to show as players??

Answers

• pkcosgrovepkcosgrove Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass ✭✭

Yeah this seems to be a common problem. I am seeing it also. It will not see my Samsung smart TV which is the only player I plan on using so the Alexa integration is worthless with out that.
    It sure would be nice if someone from Plex would explain why this is and what it will take to fix it.

• SiscoPlexSiscoPlex Posts: 961Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The plex app needs to be on in order for alexa to find it. It will probably be called "AFTV" or "my AFTV" or similar.

perhaps that helps.
    Not sure if the smart tv clients are currently supported as I refuse to use the so-called "smart" functions of my tv's. (inferrior to any of the external media players out there IMO)

• datagrimdatagrim Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 9

The Fire TV app doesn't seem to be working (at least for me). I have a Fire Stick and a Fire TV and neither of them work. My AppleTV works fine, however. What I have found is that if you list the devices on your account via https://plex.tv/devices.xml , the devices without a in their Device listings don't work. I think this indicates that those particular apps are not "Plex Companion Players" and are not supported, but that's just a guess.