Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Is the Xbox One Plex app abandoned?

seththetechyseththetechy Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

This seems to be an abandoned app, no meaningful updates in over a year and a half. It's slow, missing key features, lists dont remember your position when coming back to them after being inside a list item.

Are there not enough Xbox One users to warrant supporting this app? There's somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 million xbox ones sold. Would more Xbox One users change the approach to supporting this app? Or are video game platforms not preferred by Plex as clients? I didn't have a lot of experience with it but from using it a little a couple years ago the PS4 app didn't seem to work very well especially in terms of streaming performance.

It's a shame because the Xbox has some nice video features, the video PQ is excellent on it.

I'm a hard core Plex lover and consistent financial supporter, it just bums me out that my client platform of choice seems to be considered unworthy of support by the Plex team.

Tagged:

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 4,773 Plex Ninja

No, the app is not abandoned. A lot of the recent fixes that have gone out have been server side fixes so they don't necessitate an update to the app. Even with that there has been a major change to the core platform of the Xbox One which added a lot of time to the current update in the works.

• snorbaardsnorbaard Members, Plex Pass Posts: 20 Plex Pass

Good point jmckee, but I understand seththetechy's question, as the Xbox One client is one of the few apps that has yet to see the updated design. This hasn't changed much since even the Xbox 360 days.

I can only speak anecdotally, but the app itself is pretty solid and works well (why fix something that isn't broken?), but the lack of design updates is a bit disappointing.

• Terry CinemasTerry Cinemas Members, Plex Pass Posts: 892 Plex Pass

It's time for an update lol

• Fressa0815Fressa0815 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 78 Plex Pass

@Terry Cinemas said:
    It's time for an update lol

Good joke

• stphnwaikaristphnwaikari Members, Plex Pass Posts: 117 Plex Pass

As a yearly plex pass person, im not too happy that the xbox one s client doesnt support 4K, HDR. My other Plex Media Player on the RBP3/2 are getting more updates!

• leomholleyleomholley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

I also think it needs bringing up to the same quality as other apps.
    I think it's important to say though how well the voice controls and support for the official MS media remote work - Plex is far better than Netflix, Amazon, etc. in that regard. Please keep this functionality with any update!!

• justinglock40justinglock40 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 44 Plex Pass

I had the same thoughts.

Both the Xbox One and Xbox One S already support 4K material when direct play. However only the Xbox One S will output it. In addition, no transcoded content can play in 4K currently. This is due to two factors:
    1) HEVC is not a part of the HLS standard so HEVC cannot be sent when transcoding (IE Subtitles or Audio remux).
    2) A problem with the h264 decoder and 4K content that has been forwarded on to be looked at.

Because of the combination of issues if a file needs to transcode it has to be transcoded down to 1080p as well.

HDR support should already work. But there have been reports that it is not getting triggered automatically based on the stream being sent to the Xbox One so that issue is already being looked at.

• br3nn88br3nn88 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 17 Plex Pass

Where are we with the xbox one update? ... Im currently wishing i purchased a PS4 now for my home media setup because it comes with alexa support? ..

Is this client ever going to be updated? if so do we get a ETA..

P.S Lifetime Plex Member, Hoping his lifetime membership will be enjoyed on a Xbox One :)

@br3nn88 said:
    Where are we with the xbox one update? ... Im currently wishing i purchased a PS4 now for my home media setup because it comes with alexa support? ..

The update is still undergoing internal testing.

Is this client ever going to be updated?

Yes.

if so do we get a ETA..

Typically, Plex Inc does not release ETA's. With the Xbox One app the developers were releasing ETA's once the app was submitted to Microsoft for approval.