Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Stuttering in fullscreen mode only

I have a problem which only occurs in fullscreen mode. I can stream any video /format to any device normally but the windows 10 app has recently (?most recent large update) started stuttering fullscreen viewing.

I can watch my media in windowed screens noramlly, but obviously this leaves the buttons visible.

I have read elsewhere on the forums that this may be an openGL issue? How can I access these settings?

Many thanks for any help provided.

Comments

• KronvictKronvict Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1

In have the same issue.

• poweldpoweld Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

Same issue here. I just did a clean install of Windows 10 and Plex, both fully updated. Since then, videos in fullscreen will stutter and after several seconds cause the entire machine to become unresponsive. Windowed mode causes no such issues.

Interestingly, cropping/zooming the video using the button to the left of the fullscreen button stops the stuttering and prevent freezing.

• BetaLeafBetaLeaf Members, Plex Pass Posts: 33 Plex Pass

Same, although in my case, this is not exclusive to Plex. This also occurs in the Netflix and Hulu Window Store Apps. Video playback is smooth as long as the window is not close to being maximized. The closer the window is to being fully maximized, the harder the stutter. The stutter is like going down from 60 fps to 5-10 fps.

• dmackdandmackdan Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Same problem here

• mcfaulmcfaul Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

here too - with an NVidia graphics card if that helps

makes plex basically unuseable

• mcfaulmcfaul Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

Its an issue with G-Sync. turn it off, and everything plays perfectly.

@mcfaul said:
    Its an issue with G-Sync. turn it off, and everything plays perfectly.

I can confirm this is not the solution. My computer doesn't even support G-Sync.

I can also confirm that it's not limited to just Plex. This also happens on Hulu, Netflix, and any other app that streams video from the Windows Store.

• XenhatXenhat Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

@BetaLeaf said:
    I can also confirm that it's not limited to just Plex. This also happens on Hulu, Netflix, and any other app that streams video from the Windows Store.

Confirmed for this as well, it's been a long-standing issue I haven't been able to fix on my end.

Its unfortunate, because I can't download videos from any of these services (Plex, Netflix, etc...) because playing them back is just unbearable. I have an Alienware 17 R4 with an i7-7700HQ and a GTX 1060. I should not be having these low framerate issues on a computer this powerful.

Ok, I found some things out. The issue seems to only be happening on Windows 10 systems that have accepted and running the Creators Update. The anniversary and core editions do not have this issue. I contacted microsoft's virtual agent, spouting nonsense until it connected me to a human. Once I got a human, I explained to them since the Creators Update, all UWP apps that playback video have the issue described in this post (jerky, low framerate in fullscreen mode). I requested them to generate a link to download Windows 10 Anniversary Edition. The link they generate expires in 24 hours or I would just share it with you. Once I installed the Anniversary Edition, playback was smooth again.

I'm not sure what they changed in Creators Update, but Microsoft stabbed themselves in the foot this time. They want the Windows Store to be the place to get apps, but then they go and do this. They didn't seem interested in "fixing the issue" and was only more interested in just reverting back to a previous version of Windows. To me, they admitting defeat on this issue. I certainly hope this isn't the case. There are features that are only available in UWP apps, like being able to download movies and tv shows for offline viewing on Netflix, for example.