Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

PMS on Drobo5N Trying to Transcode almost everything remotely making it unusable.

skemez1skemez1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

I have been using PMS on my Drobo5N to watch movies locally and remotely for close to a year now. It was a great experience up until about a month ago when it began attempting to transcode almost everything remotely even movies it previously didn't attempt to transcode. Here is my situation:

Before about a month ago:
Locally:
My Drobo5N PMS would stream all of my library to my local Apple Tv without attempting to transcode video. This was pretty much the same for my local Roku and iPhone app.

I have Plex Pass and I could watch previews and extras without PMS attempting to transcode anything locally. I never tried watching previews and extras remotely in the passed so I cant evaluate that.

Remotely:
The vast majority of content would play without attempting to transcode (about 70% of my library would play) which is fine and I was happy and whenever it couldn't play a movie without trying to transcode I would get a message saying that the movie couldn't play which is fine.

After a month a go.
Locally:
Movies still play without attempting to transcode but now if I try to watch a preview or extra the PMS tries to transcode them and I am stuck watching a never ending loading screen.

Remotely
PMS is attempting to transcode every single movie, preview and extra leaving me stuck watching a loading screen that never ends or a finally plays a short clip for a few seconds before loading screen returns.

Because the Drobo5N can't transcode video well, if at all, I am stuck watching a black screen.

All my devices are set to play "Original, 1080p HD" with Direct Streaming and Direct Play on.

Answers

• jsfarmerjsfarmer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 71 Plex Pass

Select a representative file. What Video codec? What Audio codec? ATV can be picky about audio in particular and if you have say, DTS it's doing a transcode on the audio which your PC/MAC can handle.

• skemez1skemez1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

The problem occurs regardless of the device I play it on and not just the Apple TV. It occurs only when streaming to a device over the web and movies that would stream without issue and without attempting to transcode in the past now always attempt to transcode.

I monitor things with plexpy and when I check on a movie that I try to stream on the web plexpy shows that my Drobo5N server is attempting to transcode video as well as audio and not just audio. (audio transcoding worked fine in the past via my Drobo) The most confusing thing about this is that the Drobo5N should not be able to transcode video at all. In fact, up until this problem started, when a video required transcoding a message would just say something to the effect of the device could not handle the video file but now that no longer happens. Now it actually attempts to transcode the video resulting in just a blank screen or sometimes it actually transcodes a few seconds of video before going back to a blank screen. I really think this is a plex server issue and not a plex device end issue.

I will attempt to watch a movie on my iphone plex app over the web now so that I can give you the info you asked for:

Here is a screen shot of the info displayed on plexpy!

This movie is an example of one that used to stream over the web without any issue in the past and without ever attempting to transcode video.

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 2:32:13
    Bitrate 4208 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1080
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MP4
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Web Optimized Yes
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Video Profile high

Part

Size 4.47 GB
    Container MP4
    Has 64bit Offsets 1
    Web Optimized Yes
    Video Profile high

Codec H264
    Bitrate 3312 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    CABAC true
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Frame Rate Mode cfr
    Height 1080
    Level 4.0
    Pixel Format yuv420p
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 4
    Scan Type progressive
    Stream Identifier 1
    Width 1920
    Codec AC3
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 448 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Bit Depth 16
    Bitrate Mode CBR
    Dialog Norm -31 dB
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 2
    Codec AC3
    Channels Stereo
    Bitrate 448 kbps
    Language हिन्दी, हिंदी
    Audio Channel Layout stereo
    Bit Depth 16
    Bitrate Mode CBR
    Dialog Norm -31 dB
    Duration 2:32:12
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 3

• jsfarmerjsfarmer Members, Plex Pass Posts: 71 Plex Pass

try changing to a stereo track and play. Any change?

• MICHAELROWE01MICHAELROWE01 Members Posts: 1

Does the Plex App on Drobo duplicate the video library? Or just point to it and transcode at streaming time.

• skemez1skemez1 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 6 Plex Pass

@MICHAELROWE01 said:
    Does the Plex App on Drobo duplicate the video library? Or just point to it and transcode at streaming time.

It just points to it and transcodes at streaming time.

I have gotten so fed up with this that I stopped running PMS on my Drobo 5N and purchased an Nvida Shield for running PMS now. It has been running well.

• mdnitoilmdnitoil Members, Plex Pass Posts: 357 Plex Pass

I've recently started seeing a similar problem, however I'm convinced it's the android app on the Kindle that's causing it. Absolutely nothing changed on the server, but now the Kindle wants to transcode every single video. All videos are 720p, AAC mp4's, which the Kindle can handle natively. I presume this problem will go away when Amazon finally deigns to release a current version of the app.