Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

[REL] TGC (The Great Courses) Metadata Agent

13»

Comments

• GoingGaGaGoingGaGa Posts: 83Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 7

No worries on the Lecturer/Credits files, just wanted you to know it's happening just in case...

1 thing --> ? in title doesnt seem to enable matching, not even if manually matched on 99%... (I did image manually)

Example of image naming...

edited September 7

I fixed it by removing the ? from the folder name... for ref here is course: http://www.thegreatcourses.com/courses/what-are-the-chances-probability-made-clear.html

@bubonic314 I've managed to get TGCrename to rename TGC Audio Books by simply adding in the file extensions in the runtime...

Would you be willing to recode the scanner for Plex to also be capable of doing TGC Audio books via Music Libraries perhaps? I tried just scanning the properly renamed audio files to a library, but obviously got 0 usable details out of it, apart from a track listing with the names of the files...

I'm not sure whether or not you have Audio Books in your collection and whether there are others that could also make use of it, but I think this could be a great addition if your scanner is capable of handling both Video and Audio courses from TGC...

In the meantime, thank you again for this brilliant plugin... I've now done 80 courses so far with quite a bit more to go and so far it has been an absolute pleasure!

• bubonic314bubonic314 Posts: 19Members ✭✭

@GoingGaGa Yeah, I believe PLEX doesn't handle ? in filenames because when I cam across that course, the logs weren't even being populated when I tried adding the course. It seems PLEX might have halted sometime prior to the agent running. But, I can't be sure that's the problem.

As for a TGC audio agent, it's a popular request and it's in the works. Ideally, I would like to be able to use the same agent and have it work for audio alongside video; but, as of right now I'm unsure how to do this. The other option is to reuse a bunch of the code and create a separate agent to handle the audio lectures. It'll definitely happen, however I can't give you a date when it will be completed.

@bubonic314 That would be greatly appreciated!

I was also thinking you could re-use the code.

Poster already pulls in -> use as Album art
    Episode names become track named
    Professor name becomes Artist

You've done some great things thus far with TGC Video and I'm sure the Audio part could re-use plenty of that code... Your scanning engine pulls all the data, you would just need to figure out how to populate the metadata for Music instead of Video...

The renamer like I said works great for audio files considering only thing needed was to change the extensions in the script...

Anyway, in less than a week I'm up to 102 TGC Video courses and 10 TGC Audio courses, still small fries compared to you and others but quickly catching up...

Thanks again for you hard work!

• tramp78tramp78 Posts: 63Members ✭✭

@gamjar said:
    @tramp78 Yes, that is my spreadsheet. I believe there are still a few errors in that one.

@bubonic314 I'll PM you soon about the xmbcnfo files

Yeah, Introduction to Archaeology (TGC193) is listed as being in print with a webpage. Since the publication of that list it went out of print.

• tramp78tramp78 Posts: 63Members ✭✭

I have quite a few of those out of print lectures and some of them have the course guides if you need info on them.

edited September 13

nvm, got agent running

• agglomeratoragglomerator Posts: 4Members ✭✭

I created a CSV file with all of the TGC titles (691) and lecture titles in it - 16353 lines in all. PM me and I'll send it to you. I have some other goodies that can help with TGC and Plex.

• gamjargamjar Posts: 19Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 17

FYI - Grand total on TGC produced courses is 734, with 707 available as video at some point. That includes out of prints, but not the craftsy/woodworking courses.

@tram78 - thanks for the notice. Yeah they discontinued the audio of Intro to Archaeology when they released the new Archaeology course this year. Old one was a bit longer at 24 lectures (45min) and was released on VHS, but never got a DVD release.

I used the files found here to get the 691 - of all those I only found one - TGC193 - not found online anymore.

The agent would not process some of the episodes for "Everyday Guide to Wine" - TGC9123. Episodes 7 thru 10 would not pick up the metadata, episode name, and any artwork.

I also noticed that the episodes were not in numerical order on the disk - Lecture 9 was the first one, followed by 10, 7, & 8. Not sure what that was about.

@agglomerator Strange. Here is my list of files:

And here is my metadata for those lectures:

However, the log file points out an error. There are two listings for course number 9123 on the TGC+ website. When finding the lecture thumbs from the TGC+ website, my searchPlusURL() finds the first listing which links to the-everyday-guide-to-wines-of-california so it only grabs lecture images for those lectures (6 in total). This caused me to notice in my code there is no bounds check on lecture thumbs and would cause the agent to throw an exception and stop processing. However, metadata should still load for subsequent lectures as that occurs prior to the lecture thumbs. As you'll notice my metadata loaded for those episodes.

Hold tight as I will make the adjustments to the code. I'll let you know when bounds checks and an improved searchPlusURL() is made.

Thanks for point this out to me.

Update

Bounds checking on lecture thumbs has been added. And I've updated the searchPlusUR() method to ensure correct TGC+ course page is found for downloading lecture thumbs.

Downoad

TGC.bundle

13»