If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can you sync to MicroSD card on Chromebook with Android app?

krischekrische Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm looking to purchase a Chromebook and I was wondering if it's possible to have the Plex Android app sync to a SD card plugged into the Chromebook.

Most Chromebooks don't have a ton of storage space built in, so I'd rather use an large MicroSD card if possible.

Answers

• Jan 0815Jan 0815 Posts: 22Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'd like to know an answer to the same question. Ideally before I buy a new Chromebook. It appears sdcard access from Android apps is supported from ChromeOS 61 onwards, but not all apps can use it.

• krischekrische Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It looks like MicroSD support is currently in the beta release of Chrome OS: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=660189

edited October 2017

@krische said:
    It looks like MicroSD support is currently in the beta release of Chrome OS: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=660189

Yes, it started to be somewhat supported in 61, but the question here is whether the Plex Android app is able to fully take advantage of it. Many apps still cannot access SD Cards even in that Chrome OS version. Hit or miss by the looks of it.

• krischekrische Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Agreed, some of those comments on there don't inspire a lot of confidence. I think I might just save up some money for a Surface instead of a Chromebook.

• hassaahassaa Posts: 1Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I own a Samsung chromebook plus, and Plex android app does NOT see the external sd card, let alone be able to sync to it. Really upset about this because I probably now need to find an alternative to Plex...

@hassaa What ChromeOS build are you on? Can you try the beta channel?

• siamesenicksiamesenick Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have a an asus chromebook flip running chromeOS build 62. SD card can't be seen by plex but is seen by android settings app. Seems to be a plex issue? Sorry for thread necro. "Developers will need to update their apps to support the Android Storage Framework." is what I'm seeing on the issue online.

• JDIacobboJDIacobbo Posts: 96Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited January 13

I have an Acer R13 on ChromeOS Version 63.0.3239.140 (Official Build) (32-bit) and the Plex app cannot see the SD card for Mobile Sync.