If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android TV(Philips 55PUS6501/12) and AC3 audio codec

chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭

I am experiencing issues on the Android TV app of Plex.
I noticed that videos with the audio codec AC3 cause the screen to freeze but that AAC, DTS etc work like a charm. I suspect that the Android Exoplayer is unable to play videos with AC3 audio codec but the audio plays because audio pass through is enabled.

I'm capable of playing the exact same video with AC3 codec when streaming it to my Chrome Cast or on the Android app on my phone(Nexus 6P with Android 7.1.2.)

What I am wondering is;

• Is this a known issue, if so, what is the eta of the fix? (if it is going to be fixed at all)
  • Is there anything I can do as a workaround to temporarily solve this issue?

I noticed the https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/225584/philips-android-tv-6500-series-2016-model-and-multi-channel-audio#latest threat as well but there seems to be no response at all from anyone from Plex on that specific post.

Best Answer

• chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

It works again with the update from Philips which was released on 12-9-2017

Answers

• john.matychukjohn.matychuk Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I ran into the same problem on my Mi Box. I just uninstalled the android TV app and I am chrome casting for now. hopefully this will be fixed in the next update!!

• adrien.houdartadrien.houdart Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

yes it's a known issue but Plex does not seem to care ...

You can check this thread: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/239333/ac3-stereo-issues-with-the-new-mi-box/p1

You can install Kodi with the Plex plugin, and AC3 will work, but you need a Plex pass for the Plex Kodi extension :-)

Adrien

• joern.arnejoern.arne Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 5

Same here..

+1 for a fix!

Plex Android TV app (Philips) doesn't work with ac3. The built-in movie player does.

This way the Plex app is rather useless caus 70% of my content features ac3. :/

A fix would be highly welcome! :)))

• adamska46adamska46 Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

any news on this ? is the problem solved for you guys ?

PMS : NVIDIA Shield TV

• Rolo TomassiRolo Tomassi Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited September 22

Hi, I have the same problem here. I paid for the Plex Pass membership and I find it unacceptable, that they are refusing to address a common problem and they are also refusing to answer any questions sent to them directly related to support. They tell us the lie, that they are helping here at the forum, but I went through like ten threads about the exact same issue without a single answer from these "nice people".
    What can we do now? Plex is useless like this...

• rafuzrafuz Posts: 35Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have just bought a Philips Android TV just to find this nice bug...
    There will be a fix?
    I have to take it back to the store and get and android box with a standard tv?

• albatorskalbatorsk Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm in the same situation. Back in January, when I got my TV, it worked fine with playing back all kinds of content. Then, for a while there was a workaround where you had to edit the Android.xml file on the Plex Media Server to get it working again, but now, there's no workaround and I just end up not using the Plex app. Although the TV's built in Chromecast works fine, I miss using my remote to navigate Plex.

It's a pretty crappy situation, and I don't think there's ever been an official reply from the PMS team in any of the threads created here.

• LuminaiLuminai Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Just made another post about this issue. Hope it can be fixed.

There is a temporary fix that works but will transcode all content sent to the TV (so is no good for PMS on low-power NAS device)
    You have to set local quality and remote quality to maximum and then disable the option to directly play media if the bitrate is lower than the selected quality.
    I can't put a screenshot of the settings right now but you can find it in the preferences of the client on your TV.
    After that all content from PMS will be transcoded and will play happily on your TV.

Meanwhile I am trying to create a custom profile for Philips Android TV that forces transcode for AC3 and EAC3 audio tracks leaving direct-play available for video track. You will find my thread here: forums.plex.tv/discussion/289053/custom-profile-for-philips-android-tv#latest

• albatorskalbatorsk Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thank you, that's much appreciated. I hope more people find this thread (and the other one you started).

• Rolo TomassiRolo Tomassi Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

The bigger problem is, that Plex team is constantly and willingly refusing to provide support for their paying customers. What if another bug like this comes around? That behaviour is a shame and I am not sure if it's not against the law (it definitely is in my country and it should be in the USA as well).

• kikeminchaskikeminchas Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't have an AVR. My NAS (low powered Synology) transcodes the AC3 being sent to the Television, so I get Audio at least.

Forcing to transcode a whole file, video included because of this is just killing it :( sorry if you need to do this... I understand Plex uses Exoplayer and that in its current version decoding is not implemented. I think in version 2.0 there is the option to force decoding of certain streams (I have seen AC3 mentioned explicitly in Google's documentation). Totally respect the work Plex developer's are doing and I'm sure lts of testing needs to happen before we can migrate to Exoplayer 2.0 but what I think it would help is some sort of confirmation that improving the decoding of certain media is in the pipeline. Posts like this one come back often and it took me a while to figure out the actual reasons behind it...

@Rolo Tomassi said:
    The bigger problem is, that Plex team is constantly and willingly refusing to provide support for their paying customers. What if another bug like this comes around? That behaviour is a shame and I am not sure if it's not against the law (it definitely is in my country and it should be in the USA as well).

I don't think that this is a sign of low interest for the problem. A lot of "custom" hardware has problems playing all the media plex can serve and I am sure that they are working toward a solution that can provide a better overall experience.

A lot of things move in this project and I am sure that a major update will move the plex player to the next step.

• chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 15Members ✭✭
    Accepted Answer

It works again with the update from Philips which was released on 12-9-2017

• joern.arnejoern.arne Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited October 13

For me it works now after updating to QM163E.0.15.209.1 on Android 7.1.2.

But compared to DTS which still works fine AC3 seems not to be lip sync now. It feels like the sound is around 100-200ms ahead of the video.
    So the original problem seems to be solved, but now there is another issue.

• adamska46adamska46 Posts: 25Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Indeed this Philips firmware update seems to have fixed the initial issue.

@joern.arne said:
    For me it works now after updating to QM163E.0.15.209.1 on Android 7.1.2.

But compared to DTS which still works fine AC3 seems not to be lip sync now. It feels like the sound is around 100-200ms ahead of the video.
    So the original problem seems to be solved, but now there is another issue.

The fact that DTS works fine is probably due to the fact that it is first transcoded to AAC, since the TV does not passthrough DTS (except in its native Video App and maybe Kodi).

PMS : NVIDIA Shield TV