Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Android TV(Philips 55PUS6501/12) and AC3 audio codec

chaosrosechaosrose Posts: 14Members ✭✭

I am experiencing issues on the Android TV app of Plex.
I noticed that videos with the audio codec AC3 cause the screen to freeze but that AAC, DTS etc work like a charm. I suspect that the Android Exoplayer is unable to play videos with AC3 audio codec but the audio plays because audio pass through is enabled.

I'm capable of playing the exact same video with AC3 codec when streaming it to my Chrome Cast or on the Android app on my phone(Nexus 6P with Android 7.1.2.)

What I am wondering is;

• Is this a known issue, if so, what is the eta of the fix? (if it is going to be fixed at all)
  • Is there anything I can do as a workaround to temporarily solve this issue?

I noticed the https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/225584/philips-android-tv-6500-series-2016-model-and-multi-channel-audio#latest threat as well but there seems to be no response at all from anyone from Plex on that specific post.

Answers

• john.matychukjohn.matychuk Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I ran into the same problem on my Mi Box. I just uninstalled the android TV app and I am chrome casting for now. hopefully this will be fixed in the next update!!

• adrien.houdartadrien.houdart Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi,

yes it's a known issue but Plex does not seem to care ...

You can check this thread: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/239333/ac3-stereo-issues-with-the-new-mi-box/p1

You can install Kodi with the Plex plugin, and AC3 will work, but you need a Plex pass for the Plex Kodi extension :-)

Adrien

• joern.arnejoern.arne Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 5

Same here..

+1 for a fix!

Plex Android TV app (Philips) doesn't work with ac3. The built-in movie player does.

This way the Plex app is rather useless caus 70% of my content features ac3. :/

A fix would be highly welcome! :)))

• adamska46adamska46 Posts: 12Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

any news on this ? is the problem solved for you guys ?

PMS : NVIDIA Shield TV