If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server Not Available on both Xbox One and Samsung Smart TV

dylancawth@gmail.comdylancawth@gmail.com Posts: 2Members

Hi! I just got plex media server and installed the apps on both my xbox one and samsung smart TV.

On both devices, I signed into the app using the 4 digit pin code. It recognizes my account and the server, but when it tries to connect to the server, it says server not available. The same happens on my other laptop when I try to connect via app.plex.tv. This makes me think it's an issue with the server on my desktop and not the devices.

A list of what I've already checked:
I can see xbox one and Samsung smart TV in the devices tab in plex.
I have the most updated version of Plex Media Server.
No VPN is on.
I've tried signing out of both the app and the server.
I tried restarting my router.
All of the devices are on my local network.
I set security: fallback to insecure connections to "allow" on my xbox one.
Plex Media Server Settings->Network->Secure Connections is set to disabled

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• jmckeejmckee Posts: 4,880Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Have you setup your server for remote connections? This support article explains how: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200484543-Enabling-Remote-Access-for-a-Server

The reason this is important for the Xbox One is that the app is not allowed to browse the local network looking for the server. To get around this the app checks in at plex.tv (hence the linking the app to your account) and pulls your server IP from your accounts resource list. Once that is done the Xbox will attempt to connect to your servers local IP and if if that fails your remote IP. If it can't connect to either you will get the unable to connect screen.