Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Server move failure

meamensmeamens Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello all,

Okay a bit of background - I've been a PlexPass subscriber for a few years now, most of this time I've ran this in a FreeBSD jail (thebrig) on my NAS4Free box. I've gone through many upgrades (from 0.9 onwards IIRC) without issue. Everything has been working fine until today, I noticed that the usual 'pkg update && pkg upgrade' process wasn't upgrading my Plex server but no biggie, 1.3.whatever was working okay for me.

FYI I also have a Nvidia Shield that is running its own PMS.

Today I thought I'd go through some maintenance on my NAS4Free and update it from old 10.2 up to latest (11.0.0.4). This went fine and I still had access to PMS.

I then found an N4F addon called OBI (OneButtonInstaller) which will install PMS, which was also a newer version (1.5.5.3634), great! But how do I move all my settings without losing my watched states etc? Lo-and-behold: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System. Great! This looks easy enough.

So I TGZ'd my entire plexdata directory (/usr/local/plexdata-plexpass/Plex Media Server/*) leaving all files where they were on the jail install (just in case!), signed out on the original server and shutdown the jail. I then extracted my archive in the new location on N4F install (/mnt/NAS/System/OBI/plex/plexdata/Plex Media Server/), took ownership with 'chown -R' and started the new install - great stuff, I can see the web interface on http://10.0.0.1:32400/web so the server is running.. I login.... and I can see the Shield and my test Cloud install, but no sign of my NAS!!!

I then shutdown the new install, fired up the old jail and that is not showing up now either?!? I've searched and searched, fond suggestions to logout of webapp first and login on my server - no joy, delete the server from the Device list (it wasn't there), and all sorts. How can I get my server to show itself????

Hope someone can help

Cheers

Answers

• gbooker02gbooker02 Posts: 593Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@meamens said:
    …, signed out on the original server …

Doing this removes the token from your account on plex.tv. It also removes any registration of where the server is from there as well. As a result, the server is not registering it's IP address/port with plex.tv any longer and as a result client cannot find it any longer either.

You will need to open a web browser to http://IPAddressOfServer:32400/web and login the server there.

• meamensmeamens Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 5

I only signed out because the instructions said so. But reading them again, I now notice it says signout on the DESTINATION server whereas I signed out on the original (source) server. Oops. But FYI, the DEST server was never signed in.

I have signed in many times now to the web interfaces of both my original (10.0.0.2:32400/web) and the new (10.0.0.1:32400/web) servers! It logs in just fine but there's no sign of it in the server list on the left, I can only see the Shield and my Cloud test servers. So my server is running and communicating with Plex, but I can't actually see the actual server I'm signed in on!! This is daft.

To be honest I don't really care about the new install, I'd be happy going back to my original one but like I say, when I sign in there now it doesn't show up either. The only reason I left that server as-is was in the hope of avoiding a situation like this.

Thanks for looking in to this

• meamensmeamens Posts: 3Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Okay my old server is back.. I tried VNCing to a desktop on the local network (the above was all done over VPN to my house) and then the server showed up. I'm sure this is probably explained somewhere but I didn't come across it.. I think having a way to 'force add' a server that you're connected to would be a great and useful little addition to PMS.

Thanks for your help!