Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex/ Alexa/ Amazon Fire TV Stick

nmcrae85nmcrae85 Posts: 38Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has already been asked. Im trying to get my 2 Fire Sticks working with my Amazon Dot. I thought the process would be easy but it appears not to be. My Fire Stick is running s/v Fire OS 5.2.4.1 and FireTV Home version 5.7.3-17. When I ask Alexa to open plex I get only the option for the chrome web browser not either of my firesticks. Looking at the supported listed of devices I can see that FireStick is listed.

Am I missing something very simple?

Thanks
Neil

Best Answer

Answers

• Cabel330Cabel330 Posts: 559Members ✭✭✭

hello,
    maybe you asked the wrong question/command.
    Take a look here,please.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/236324808

• nmcrae85nmcrae85 Posts: 38Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

It seems like it will not discover the Fire Stick. Is the Gen1 devices supported?

edited May 6

Does anyone have any advice?

The Fire Stick just keeps getting a companion player error. Even using the Fire Stick app (with built in Alexa support) is the same. How do you ensure the fire stick is running what it needs to, to support this feature?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,684Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Is the Plex app running on the Fire Stick? Alexa is not able to start the app, so it must already be running to use it. I use a 1st Gen TV Stick and a Dot, so it should work. Also check if other Plex apps (like Pelx Web) can see the Stick?

Hi Movie Fan

Plex is running on the fire stick. Using the dot or the built in alexa function in the IOS remote app doesn't allow any control from Alexa.

I get an error around companion player not being available. If I log into plex via chrome web browser all the functions become available. So it seems to be a discovery issue.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks
    Neil

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,684Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Have you had Alexa list the players it sees just to make sure you aren't using the wrong device name.

"Alex, tell Plex to list available players"

I have asked that question. Response is that there are no available players. I have two fire sticks on the network. Do I need to ensure any setting is enabled? DLNA or anything? Ports I need to open on the firewall (dont think there is anything blocked)?

No players? Not even PlexWeb or the iOS app.

Only web player. If I login via chrome or other browser. Currently I removed them from the list to test the fire stick.

Anything server or network side I need to check?

There are no server or client settings. Can you describe your network setup? Just wondering if your Fire Sticks are connected to a WiFi that is not being seen as local to your PMS.

Is there a way to tell if they are not seen by the PMS? The devices work fine without using the dot to control, i.e. I have full playback etc.

Its a standard Wi-Fi setup. All devices on the same subnet. Common NAT setup to the internet. No local routing or any L2 filtering in place.

The Chrome web browser PC is on the same Wi-Fi network and has no issues.

I can also cast from the Chrome web browser PC to the firestick TV. That works no issues.

If your Web Browser can see the Firestick, so should Alexa. They use the same mechanism for identifying devices it can control. Unfortunately, Alexa doesn't provide any type of diagnostics when things don't work. I would suggest removing the Plex skill, adding it back, and trying again.

Tried. No luck.