Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

17 years after the beginning of 21th century, I need to transcode using plex on atv. Any info?

oliviergxoliviergx Members Posts: 10 ✭✭

Is anybody able to clearly explain why plex is not always able to play directly without transcode (vlc and infuse mrmc is able without)
Or something is on the roadmap?

I repeat, I have no time to lose using handbrake or convert or do whatever. I just want to push and play directly without waiting 1mn for transcoding), without lag etc etc

Not happy with plex for ATV
Transcode is BS. Will never pay for a "transcode" plexpass

Comments

• timanrebeltimanrebel Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

vlc and infuse mrmc transcode on the client. Plex's strategy is to always transcode on the server

• dduke2104dduke2104 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 149 Plex Pass
    edited May 7

@oliviergx said:
    Transcode is BS. Will never pay for a "transcode" plexpass etc

Your signature indicates you have a lot to learn regarding the whys and whens of transcoding but no inclination to do so.

And, no, you don't pay for transcoding in Plex anyway.

• mau47mau47 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 11 Plex Pass

If it take over a minute to start playback for a transcode then you probably dont have a powerful enough device running as your server, I have it running on a box with a 3 generation old i3 and it starts playing within about 2-3 seconds from hitting play.

Also, if you don't want your files to transcode the Apple TV is the wrong platform for you if you don't want to take the time to put the files in a proper format that the Apple TV can directly stream.

No matter which app you are using on the Apple TV there is some type of transcoding gong on. Plex has designed the system to always do it on the server as the app is on many platforms some of which can't handle transcoding in real time so the server is the most efficient option.

• Gdr56Gdr56 Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭

@mau47 said:
    If it take over a minute to start playback for a transcode then you probably dont have a powerful enough device running as your server, I have it running on a box with a 3 generation old i3 and it starts playing within about 2-3 seconds from hitting play.

Also, if you don't want your files to transcode the Apple TV is the wrong platform for you if you don't want to take the time to put the files in a proper format that the Apple TV can directly stream.

No matter which app you are using on the Apple TV there is some type of transcoding gong on. Plex has designed the system to always do it on the server as the app is on many platforms some of which can't handle transcoding in real time so the server is the most efficient option.

Wait times to play are not relevant if Drives are to be woken. Wait times are not relevant if tans code buffer has been increased from default.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.