Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Error upgrading to plexmediaserver (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf)

dernensdernens Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

I get the following error after trying upgrading plex media server on Ubuntu 16.04:
Setting up plexmediaserver (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf) ...

OK
groups: ‘#’: no such user

Then the upgrade process ends with an error and it is listed as not completely installed in apt.

I use: https://github.com/mrworf/plexupdate to autoupdate the server.

Any ideas to resolve?

Best Answers

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,951 Plex Team Member

You need to go there (github) for support if you wish to keep using the script

You could add the Plex. repo to your apt repositories and have PMS update through your own machine's automatic update mechanism. (this is supported by Plex)

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• dernensdernens Members, Plex Pass Posts: 12 Plex Pass

It really has nothing to do with the script. All the script does is download the new *.deb using wget and runs it when the server is not in use.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,951 Plex Team Member

Can you show me the console output when you attempt to run the installation manually with dpkg -i ?

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

sudo dpkg -i /tmp/plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb
    (Reading database ... 278022 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack .../plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf) over (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf) ...
    OK
    Usage: usermod [options] LOGIN

Options:
    -c, --comment COMMENT new value of the GECOS field
    -d, --home HOME_DIR new home directory for the user account
    -e, --expiredate EXPIRE_DATE set account expiration date to EXPIRE_DATE
    -f, --inactive INACTIVE set password inactive after expiration
    to INACTIVE
    -g, --gid GROUP force use GROUP as new primary group
    -G, --groups GROUPS new list of supplementary GROUPS
    -a, --append append the user to the supplemental GROUPS
    mentioned by the -G option without removing
    him/her from other groups
    -h, --help display this help message and exit
    -l, --login NEW_LOGIN new value of the login name
    -L, --lock lock the user account
    -m, --move-home move contents of the home directory to the
    new location (use only with -d)
    -o, --non-unique allow using duplicate (non-unique) UID
    -p, --password PASSWORD use encrypted password for the new password
    -R, --root CHROOT_DIR directory to chroot into
    -s, --shell SHELL new login shell for the user account
    -u, --uid UID new UID for the user account
    -U, --unlock unlock the user account
    -v, --add-subuids FIRST-LAST add range of subordinate uids
    -V, --del-subuids FIRST-LAST remove range of subordinate uids
    -w, --add-subgids FIRST-LAST add range of subordinate gids
    -W, --del-subgids FIRST-LAST remove range of subordinate gids
    -Z, --selinux-user SEUSER new SELinux user mapping for the user account

dpkg: error processing package plexmediaserver (--install):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 2
    Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu17) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    plexmediaserver

Am I seeing Ubuntu 17? there?

On Ubuntu 16, it works flawlessly.

# dpkg -i plexmediaserver*1.6.1*.deb
    (Reading database ... 278759 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb ...
    Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service.
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf) over (1.4.3.3420-60cab49c1) ...
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
    Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu17) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5.1) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160824-0ubuntu1) ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
    # 

Useful links

Nah, this is Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I think you are referring to Processing triggers for systemd (**229-4ubuntu17**) ..., you have the same line.

What I do notice now is that the 1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64 version is actually installed and works if I start the service manually with service plexmediasever restart. The only error is the "groups: ‘#’: no such user" after set up of plexmediaserver which causes the install to fail or to be seen as failed for dpkg.

edited May 6

I've tried it both on 16 and 17 (I had to BEAT on 17 to get it to install.. It's not ready for prime time yet)

That must be something unique to your system. There are far to many other ubuntu installations for it only to be noticed now (including those done by QA and those of us on the team here).

let's look at the file /etc/group and see what's in it. It's unlikely, but might be possible, an unexpected # in there could throw it off.
    Would you mind showing that please?

Useful links

• xzKinGzxBuRnzxxzKinGzxBuRnzx Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

I had this exact same issue, I believe it's related to systemd startup.

edited May 7

The problems seen are typically the result of customizing the systemd startup and placing a full plexmediserver.service in /etc/systemd/system.

This is not how variable / environment changes should be made.

Placing the whole file is a full "Unit override" instead of a more mind "Server override".

Should you place a full service file in /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service and we need to make changes to fix a problem for your OS, you would never see the changes.

Ubuntu 17, in a nutshell, just isn't ready. I've spent several hours trying to stand up a Fresh installation, from the distribution media.

It could not find the Ubuntu servers to get it's updates until I created entries in /etc/hosts.

As an 'Upgrade distro', it may be fine.

As a 'Fresh start'.. No.
    I cannot report back to my management that it's ready for us to start supporting.

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    I've tried it both on 16 and 17 (I had to BEAT on 17 to get it to install.. It's not ready for prime time yet)

That must be something unique to your system. There are far to many other ubuntu installations for it only to be noticed now (including those done by QA and those of us on the team here).

let's look at the file /etc/group and see what's in it. It's unlikely, but might be possible, an unexpected # in there could throw it off.
    Would you mind showing that please?

root:x:0: daemon:x:1: bin:x:2: sys:x:3: adm:x:4:syslog,dennis tty:x:5: disk:x:6: lp:x:7: mail:x:8: news:x:9: uucp:x:10: man:x:12: proxy:x:13: kmem:x:15: dialout:x:20: fax:x:21: voice:x:22: cdrom:x:24:dennis floppy:x:25: tape:x:26: sudo:x:27:dennis audio:x:29: dip:x:30:dennis www-data:x:33:dennis backup:x:34: operator:x:37: list:x:38: irc:x:39: src:x:40: gnats:x:41: shadow:x:42: utmp:x:43: video:x:44: sasl:x:45: plugdev:x:46:dennis staff:x:50: games:x:60: users:x:100:dennis nogroup:x:65534: systemd-journal:x:101: systemd-timesync:x:102: systemd-network:x:103: systemd-resolve:x:104: systemd-bus-proxy:x:105: input:x:106: crontab:x:107: syslog:x:108: netdev:x:109: lxd:x:110:dennis messagebus:x:111: uuidd:x:112: sambashare:x:113:dennis mlocate:x:114: ssh:x:115: winbindd_priv:x:116: dennis:x:1000: lpadmin:x:117:dennis docker:x:999: ssl-cert:x:118: munin:x:119: i2c:x:120: ntp:x:121: mysql:x:122: plex:x:123: gitlab-www:x:998:www-data git:x:997: gitlab-redis:x:996: gitlab-psql:x:995: scanner:x:124: colord:x:125: gitlab-prometheus:x:994:
    Nothing wrong there.

@xzKinGzxBuRnzx said:
    I had this exact same issue, I believe it's related to systemd startup.

I did not modify any systemd files. Can you elaborate on how you solved this?

@ChuckPA said:
    The problems seen are typically the result of customizing the systemd startup and placing a full plexmediserver.service in /etc/systemd/system.

This is not how variable / environment changes should be made.

Placing the whole file is a full "Unit override" instead of a more mind "Server override".

Should you place a full service file in /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service and we need to make changes to fix a problem for your OS, you would never see the changes.

Ubuntu 17, in a nutshell, just isn't ready. I've spent several hours trying to stand up a Fresh installation, from the distribution media.

It could not find the Ubuntu servers to get it's updates until I created entries in /etc/hosts.

As an 'Upgrade distro', it may be fine.

As a 'Fresh start'.. No.
    I cannot report back to my management that it's ready for us to start supporting.

For the third time, I am not using Ubuntu 17 --> I am on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. Next to that, I did not mess with systemd. Further, I do not understand what you are trying to say.

edited May 8

For that I apologize. I've been getting a number of Ubuntu 17 problems.

Per your OP:

@dernens said:
    I get the following error after trying upgrading plex media server on Ubuntu 16.04:

OK

As I replied, You are using their script. What it's doing is unknown and unsupported.
    Yes, it should be a simple pull of a .deb file. What's it doing wrong?

Nobody else is reporting problems installing PMS on Ubuntu other than those using Ubuntu 17

Therefore:

1. Do you have a /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service file?
    2. Do you have a /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file ?
    3. Do you have user plex in any group other than plex?
    4. Do you have other users in the plex group?
    5. What exact filename did you get from the script?

Show me what you do have as it pertains to these 5 things. Something is unique with your configuration and it's not rocket science. Yes, I'm being pedantic but the obvious is being overlooked by both of us.

What happens if you pull down the file manually and install it?

Useful links

@ChuckPA said:
    As I replied, You are using their script. What it's doing is unknown and unsupported.
    Yes, it should be a simple pull of a .deb file. What's it doing wrong?

Nobody else is reporting problems installing PMS on Ubuntu other than those using Ubuntu 17

Therefore:

1. Do you have a /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service file?

Yes.

1. Do you have a /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file ?

Yes. This I forgot, so thanks for that! I have overridden the user and group that plex uses. Following the instructions in the file:

#
    # Plex Media Server - Systemd service override file
    #
    # All entries must be systemd compliant (Environrment="var=absolute_value")
    #

[Service]

# If you wish to change Plex's Username or Group, uncomment the field(s) below and
    # change to the correct values

#User=new_plex_username
    #Group=new_plex_group

User=dennis
    Group=users

1. Do you have user plex in any group other than plex?

No. See output:
    groups plex
    plex : plex

1. Do you have other users in the plex group?

No others. See output:
    cat /etc/group | grep plex
    plex:x:123:

1. What exact filename did you get from the script?

plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb

Show me what you do have as it pertains to these 5 things. Something is unique with your configuration and it's not rocket science. Yes, I'm being pedantic but the obvious is being overlooked by both of us.

What happens if you pull down the file manually and install it?

wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf/plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb
    Doing a simple pull and running dpkg -i on it yields the same error.

there are a couple things going on:

1. Let's remove the Unit override on your system (/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service) and then update systemctl daemon-reload
    2. Don't delete the override directory. That's your local config.
    3. Something is wacky with your configuration and/or passwd or group file. I state this because, using your sequence:
    chuck@udummy:~$ wget https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf/plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb
    --2017-05-08 15:01:41--  https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server/1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf/plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb
    Resolving downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)... 104.20.6.9, 104.20.7.9, 2400:cb00:2048:1::6814:709, ...
    Connecting to downloads.plex.tv (downloads.plex.tv)|104.20.6.9|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 105638510 (101M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: ‘plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb’

plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_a 100%[=========================================================================>] 100.74M  3.06MB/s    in 33s     

2017-05-08 15:02:14 (3.07 MB/s) - ‘plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb’ saved [105638510/105638510]

chuck@udummy:~$ sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb 
    dpkg: error: dpkg status database is locked by another process
    chuck@udummy:~$ sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb 
    (Reading database ... 276036 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking plexmediaserver (1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf) over (1.4.3.3433-03e4cfa35) ...
    Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/plexmediaserver.service to /lib/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.
    Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu16) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5.1) ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160824-0ubuntu1) ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
    chuck@udummy:~$  cat /etc/os-release 
    NAME="Ubuntu"
    VERSION="16.04.2 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
    ID=ubuntu
    ID_LIKE=debian
    PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS"
    VERSION_ID="16.04"
    HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
    SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
    BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
    VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
    UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial
    chuck@udummy:~$

Your passwd and group files should look like this (except the specific UID/GID values)

chuck@udummy:~$ cat /etc/passwd | grep plex
    plex:x:122:129::/var/lib/plexmediaserver:/bin/bash
    chuck@udummy:~$ cat /etc/group | grep plex
    video:x:44:plex
    plex:x:129:
    chuck@udummy:~$ 

IF need be, delete user plex . You're not using them. I am not certain which is best on Ubuntu deluser or userdel. I think deluser is preferred over the lower level (raw) userdel.

When you install, user plex will be created properly by the installation script. That will clean it up.. Your override.conf will still be in control.

Useful links

Sorry for the late reply, was travelling.

So, I tried the above. Remove the plexmediaserver.service file, deleted the plex user (to be sure), tried to install again. Unfortunately I end up with the same error.

I cannot replicate your errors. It must also be said that I don't use any other scripts and I have a pure VM for testing purposes.
    There is something about your system I do not understand. Some piece of information is missing from what you've told me but I don't even know what to ask at this point as dpkg is dpkg.

To that end, It's not systemd or the distro. If it were, ALL the Ubuntu users would be complaining.

Useful links

edited May 17

Scanning through my logs I think I found the culprit:
    adduser: Warning: The home directory "/var/lib/plexmediaserver" does not belong to the user you are currently creating. OK groups: ‘#’: no such user

When I get home I will try again after setting the right user.

Alas, that did not resolve it either.

edited May 20 Accepted Answer

Before I do this. What is your thought -> Will a clean install get rid of this issue?

edited May 20 Accepted Answer

@ChuckPA many thanks for your patience and help. A complete wipe (apt purge and manual removal of config files) and reinstall solved the issue. Not the sexiest of solutions, however, now I do not have to restart the server anymore every morning :smile:.

I followed this older post to find all the files that needed purging:
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/31215/not-able-to-reinstall-plexmediaserver-on-ubuntu-how-to-completely-remove-pms

Only after removing all the "old" files the problem did not pop up anymore. So, as you said, it was probably something with my local config.