If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Pixelation Through Direct Play via OpenPHT

SturmieSturmie Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Any idea what's causing this occasional pixelation? It seems to only happen every so often with a certain type of encoding...others play perfectly fine. I'm using OpenPHT (latest version) and having my PMS direct play to my PC. It only lasts a few seconds, but it is annoying. If I play the file in Windows Media Player (with the proper corresponding codecs installed), the file plays perfectly fine.

Answers

• DuffHQDuffHQ Posts: 104Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I'm seeing the same thing on my odroid-c2, but only when I skip back and forth in the movie.. takes a few seconds to "resync"

• SturmieSturmie Posts: 30Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

For reference, here are the video details from MediaInfo:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 9 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 56mn 8s
    Bit rate : 3 523 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.159
    Stream size : 1.38 GiB (83%)
    Writing library : x264 core 144 r2525 40bb568
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=9 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=10 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=48 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=17.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.30 / pb_ratio=1.20 / aq=3:0.80

Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

• daniel.culldaniel.cull Posts: 320Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

does it happen when seeking/skipping only?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Check out the Epic Aeon Nox Skin for OpenPHT
    Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

edited May 9

It actually happens during playback for 3-4 seconds each time. I'm not ffwd'ing or seeking when it happens.

what is your version of OpenPHT and what are OS are you running it on? (dont reply with 'latest' please
    What version of PMS are you running?

Enjoy Rasplex/OpenPHT? Consider dropping some bones into our development war chest! All donations go toward development expenses so our volunteers spend less out of pocket. rasplex.com

Like Aeon Nox 5 and want to donate some money to help support development? Click here to donate.

Windows 7, 32-bit

OpenPHT 1.8.0.148

PMS 1.5.5.3634

are you display drivers up to date? what is your graphics card?

Intel HD Graphics

I'll have to get the exact model and drivers here soon. I do know that it's an i3-550 processor on the machine running OpenPHT.

So, apparently my dumb @ss forgot to install the official Intel HD Graphics drivers when I rebuilt it a few weeks ago and let Windows 7 use its own. I updated the display drivers and will keep monitoring the situation to see if this happens again moving forward.

i suspect that will probably fix it yea

Thanks for the help, btw.

I'm still getting that same random pixelation even after updating the display driver.

Any other suggestions? The files play fine through Windows Media Player with Shark007 codecs or the Plex Media Player, but pixelates (like in the screenshot above) regular on some files through OpenPHT.