Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Feature Request: Roku remote home button reurposed

gcwyattgcwyatt Members Posts: 1
in Roku

This request was kind of brought up in 2015,
https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/181259/home-button
but I want to specifically ask that the Roku remote's home button be re-purposed when running Plex. If it can be done, I suggest a single press brings you back to the Plex home page, a second press takes you to Roku home. The would save so much time when I'm five menus deep.

Answers

• JamminRJamminR Plexhibitionist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,378 Plex Pass

No. Absolutely not. I'm already annoyed with the way many channels now ask "Are you sure your sure you meant to back out of this app and exit??" after clicking the back button.
    Home is our only guaranteed escape from a channel.

I'm not sure the Roku API even allows it's channels to overwrite home and back button.
    However, using your up arrow on the Roku advanced remotes 2-3 times allows you to move out of the selection/info browsing screens to the top. Then you can click 'OK' on the remote after clicking right one time to go to the picture of the 'home' on the upper right of your Roku screen.
    Once the home icon is selected, click 'ok'.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.7.3
    Misc. HW -
    SiliconDust HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4x4TB (HGST) RAID5 (QNAP)
    Clients
    - 1x Roku 3 (95% primary), 3x Roku2 XS, 1x Android, 2x iOS devices - Friends use Roku, ATV, Web and Xbox360
    Shares - From: 2  -  To: 20(6)  - *(Bold#) = Average actual alive/used - PlexPass subscriber!
    ISP: ~6mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. usage ~400gb/mo)
    See the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions - Wiki -
    Plex Stuff I use/like/favor - PlexPy (stats/notifications) - PlexEmail (newsletter) - SS Plex (Watch later!!!) - G2G.FM
  • leelyndsleelynds Members, Plex Pass Posts: 922 Plex Pass

I often use a "long" press on the back button. That takes you to the home screen of Plex no matter how deep you are in the menus. ;)

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4,001 Plex Pass

Roku requires that the "home" button always returns to the home menu. Of course they have granted exceptions to a few apps like Netflix but I believe that the requirement is written in their developer's agreement.

All apps are supposed to be treated equally but some apps are more equal than others.

The "long" press of "back" is the way Plex has come up with to work around the fact that there are a limited number of usable buttons on the Roku remotes. It works but it is not a perfect solution and users, like me, that have had Rokus since it was introduced as "The Netflix Player" sometimes have trouble with buttons behaving differently on short vs long press. My thumb's muscle memory is quite hard to retrain and I keep short pressing when I mean to long press.

Some of the great mysteries of the universe:
    Why does the word "monosyllabic" have so many syllables?
    Why do we drive on "parkways" and park on "driveways?"
    Why are there interstate highways in Hawaii?
    When they ship Styrofoam what do they pack it in?
    If you buy a bottle of cotton balls do you throw out the first one?
    What happens if you are scared half to death twice?
    Each pig has four feet and two ears so, why are pig feet more expensive that pig ears?
    Why should people go out and pay money to see bad films when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing?
    What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
    "What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad." Dave Barry

• leelyndsleelynds Members, Plex Pass Posts: 922 Plex Pass

I don't recall any extensive thumb retraining, but there may have been. For me, it's hold the button down till I see "Loading" pop up on the screen, and let go. No need to train the thumb press for short and long, at worst, perhaps some hand-eye coordination. :) I think it's a perfect solution, and perhaps the only one, given the fact the Roku has a limited amount of buttons to work with.

• JuiceWSAJuiceWSA Members Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7

I press Home to bail out - on the Roku.

When you do that on an AFTV the app continues running in the background - then explodes. The long press and proper exit is the only way to fly.

Some retraining is required - device specific.

Tony

FileBot For Easy Plex File Naming: http://www.filebot.net/

Automated Plex Naming With Filebot: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/191687/plex-naming-schemes-for-filebot

Plex Friendly Handbrake Guide - DVDs/BluRays: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1335697/#Comment_1335697

Plex Clients: AFTVs, Androids, PMP, Rokus (running RARflix: http://streamfree.tv/roku-channels/private/all/rarflix-108-thread.html )

• JamminRJamminR Plexhibitionist Members, Plex Pass Posts: 2,378 Plex Pass

Excellent idea for the long press of back button. I learn something new (re: Plex/it's clients) every week it seems.

Server - HW: Intel Core I5-4670K, 16GB DDR3 - SW: Win10 Pro + PMS v1.7.3
    Misc. HW -
    SiliconDust HDHR Extend + 4TB RAID1 (Intel) + 4x4TB (HGST) RAID5 (QNAP)
    Clients
    - 1x Roku 3 (95% primary), 3x Roku2 XS, 1x Android, 2x iOS devices - Friends use Roku, ATV, Web and Xbox360
    Shares - From: 2  -  To: 20(6)  - *(Bold#) = Average actual alive/used - PlexPass subscriber!
    ISP: ~6mbps up/1TB monthly "cap" - (Monthly avg. usage ~400gb/mo)
    See the Plex WIKI before asking silly questions - Wiki -
    Plex Stuff I use/like/favor - PlexPy (stats/notifications) - PlexEmail (newsletter) - SS Plex (Watch later!!!) - G2G.FM