Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Freenas: Adding a SSD for transcoding, etc

Joeboy73Joeboy73 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hello Everyone,

I just added a SSD for my freenas server (Plex is up and running fine) and I wanted to know if there was a way to just import the disk OR do I need to create a new PMS jail?

If I can import would this be the proper location: /mnt/media2/jails/plexmediaserver_1/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server

Thank you!

Comments

• ValdhorValdhor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 502 Plex Pass

Why did you add the SSD in the first place? Was it to speed up FreeNAS or was it specifically for Plex transcodes? The former would only be useful for multi-user FreeNAS systems. The latter would only be useful, in my opinion, for multiple simultaneous transcodes, and even then I would question the necessity. Hard disks are plenty fast enough for transcoding.

Oh, forgot, you could have added the SSD as a boot device. In that case you can't use it as a transcoding target.

• thirdgen89gtathirdgen89gta Members, Plex Pass Posts: 13 Plex Pass
    edited June 2

Using instructions found on the FreeNAS forums I moved my Jails to a set of two SSD's in Raid 0. Why Raid 0? Because the snapshots are betting backed up to the main pool, so its not horrible if an SSD goes out. The actual media files are safe in the main Zpool.

The reason I moved my Plex jail to the SSD's is for speed of loading album art and such when browsing my collection. Movies were okay, due to the reduced number.

But when loading Music Album art, the pool could not provide the thumbnails fast enough. The SSD's cured that and the experience has become just about instant.

You do not need a SSD for Transcoding however. This is due to actual throughput you can expect when transcoding video. Regular platter storage is not the bottleneck, the CPU is.

I've tested transcoding on my FreeNAS with up to 9 simultaneous transcodes using H265 1080P blu-ray rips. 9 transcodes is the point at which the server becomes overwhelmed and can't keep up. Eventually one of the video's buffers.

But at 8 transcodes, it plays fine, hovering just under the 100% CPU usage mark.

Example. I played ALL of the Star Wars movies at ONCE.

Server is a i7-4790k @ stock clocks w/32GB of DDR3-1600 ram. Plex jail is running on 2x 250GB Samsung 850 EVOs, while the main storage consists of 5x WD Green 4TB drives that have been WDIDLE'd.