Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can't see anymore the NAS on local network

Sgt HartmanSgt Hartman Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hello,

I don't know exactly what happened but apparently my Shield can't see anymore my NAS on the local network, meaning that my PMS on the Shield is no longer able to see files stored inside the NAS.

Do you how to manually insert the path? is it something like \my ip address\share?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Sgt HartmanSgt Hartman Posts: 36Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 15 Accepted Answer

I tried \myipaddress\Multimedia but it doesn't work (double backslash). Any other idea?

Answers

• GregJSSmithGregJSSmith Posts: 4Members ✭✭

What's happened is you've rebooted/shut down your Shield and so it has lost your stored servers. Why ? Because the Shield is a buggy piece of **** and Plex sitting on top of it is just as bad. Spent the last 3 hours trying to get something to stream in anything other than the Shield Player. Absolute joke for something NVidea are marketing so hard.
    You have to add them again using the notation \ipaddress\shareorfolder.

Don't know why they took the double backslash off but it should be double backslash before the ip address
    \ipaddress\folder

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Posts: 5,324Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Anytime you want to show actual commands, wrap them in the code tags.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

edited May 15

@GregJSSmith said:
    Don't know why they took the double backslash off but it should be double backslash before the ip address
    \ipaddress\folder

Thanks Greg, I'll try your solution.

I'm also quite disappointed by this annoying bug. Looking in Nvidia's forum it seems that they know the problem and a fix will be released within the next version.

BTW, the funny part is that using ES File Explorer I can navigate inside my NAS folders and starting the files. Not an elegant solution but it works/

edited May 15 Accepted Answer

I tried \myipaddress\Multimedia but it doesn't work (double backslash). Any other idea?

OK I'm back and I've calmed down lol. After several hours of trying to get the Shield and Plex to be anywhere near as useable as Kodi i found a post that suggested updating the PMS which isn't quite that simple as there's no update button. Anyway problem sorted and have been playing more today and am now quite impressed with the whole Plex thing.
    Thanks kegobeer-Plex, will bear that in mind, it was an impulse rant and didn't think about code tags.

Can't really suggest much else I'm afraid Sgt, provided your permissions on the NAS haven't changed then it should work in the format you've tried. Which NAS is it ?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,631Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@GregJSSmith said:
    i found a post that suggested updating the PMS which isn't quite that simple as there's no update button

You update PMS from the Google Play store. It literally is an "Update" button. How did you do it?

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 15,631Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

@Sgt Hartman said:
    Hello,

I don't know exactly what happened but apparently my Shield can't see anymore my NAS on the local network, meaning that my PMS on the Shield is no longer able to see files stored inside the NAS.

Did you check the storage options in the Shield settings to make sure your NAS is still mounted?

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@GregJSSmith said:
    i found a post that suggested updating the PMS which isn't quite that simple as there's no update button

You update PMS from the Google Play store. It literally is an "Update" button. How did you do it?

I don't know but it definitely didn't say update. I read somewhere that you click on the button that says it's already installed and that updates it. Whatever happened it went from a blocky mess one minute to transcoding files nicely the next, so I can only assume it got updated as I don't think so changed anything else.
    Next job is to work out how to get Plex working on a Popcornhour A400.

Oh sorry. I meant from the Google Play Store app on the Shield itself. You can also do it from the Play Website where it will say "already installed". You just tell it to install again. It will look for the latest version and install it if there is one. If not, it does nothing.