If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Videos in Timeline

SpielverderberSpielverderber Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Hit there,

in my timeline view some videos are not arranged correctly. Some of them are placed in 1970-01-01 and some in 2036-02-06. Is that a bug? Change date and modify date are available for these files. What are the creterias to arrange videos?

Tagged:

Answers

• HitsVilleHitsVille Posts: 404Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Need lots more info... MP4 by any chance?

HitsVille

• werkkrewwerkkrew Posts: 8Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue. I don't really think much more info is needed to answer the question: "What data does Plex use to sort photos and videos in the timeline view?"

I ask because even if I update the exif data and file modified/created dates for photos and refresh, nothing changes. For videos, since there is no exif data, what does Plex key off of?

• mbusenbembusenbe Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Did you ever figure out what data is used for sorting videos in timeline view? Camera upload from plex iOS app sets the date for all videos to the current date if they are stored in icloud.

I tried using exiftool to modify all date metadata fields, but they still show up under the wrong date. It's extremely annoying and a potential deal breaker for me if I can't script a fix.

• gregoragregora Posts: 13Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Yes that's a big problem. Plex seems to use the file date instead of metadata. Can this be fixed?