Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex web app working but Plex media server won't, what do I do?

iggy123iggy123 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Can anyone help with my plex confusion? When I use Plex media server on my mac I get the message of:
Update your Plex Media Server
This version of the web app requires Plex Media Server 1.3.0 or higher. Use one of the links below to open an available server directly.

But there are no links available and I've downloaded plex media server again but I keep getting the same message and there are still no links. The address that comes when using Plex Media Server is http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html is this correct or does this cause me to get that message? When I use launch my account from plex.tv I have no problems and I've made sure on plex.tv that I have the latest version. The link I use for this is: https://app.plex.tv/web/app#

Now, my knowledge of plex is limited so please explain anything as simply as you.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• Gdr56Gdr56 Members Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@iggy123 said:
    This is the details from when I downloaded PMS yesterday: 1.5.5.3634-995f1dead

Ok, your not a plex pass user so your on the latest version available. Only guessing but hope your on Sierra 10.12.4

This message to update is like a ribbon at top of start page in browser view. Just go to the right and click the "X" to remove.

What would be good is to reply with screen shot/jpeg file before using the X and post in your reply.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

Answers

@iggy123 said:
    Can anyone help with my plex confusion? When I use Plex media server on my mac I get the message of:
    Update your Plex Media Server
    This version of the web app requires Plex Media Server 1.3.0 or higher. Use one of the links below to open an available server directly.

But there are no links available and I've downloaded plex media server again but I keep getting the same message and there are still no links. The address that comes when using Plex Media Server is http://127.0.0.1:32400/web/index.html is this correct or does this cause me to get that message? When I use launch my account from plex.tv I have no problems and I've made sure on plex.tv that I have the latest version. The link I use for this is: https://app.plex.tv/web/app#

Now, my knowledge of plex is limited so please explain anything as simply as you.

Thanks.

So to get this right, what version of PMS are you using.

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• iggy123iggy123 Members Posts: 5 ✭✭

Accepted Answer

@iggy123 said:

Ok, your not a plex pass user so your on the latest version available. Only guessing but hope your on Sierra 10.12.4

This message to update is like a ribbon at top of start page in browser view. Just go to the right and click the "X" to remove.

What would be good is to reply with screen shot/jpeg file before using the X and post in your reply.

I've looked and there's no X, I've got Sierra 10.12.4. The screen shoot is here:

Download PMS again from plex.tv/downloads and install again. When you try to add to applications, use replace. I can see your signed in. You have access to settings from tool symbol, go to network an enable GDM and save.

Thanks for the advice but what will this do?

Bump! Can anyone help? I just can't Plex to work.

• JamarhoJamarho Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Bump! Same issue. Server doesn't show up in Devices > Server, installing over it doesn't help, logging out of PMS to clear the cache and logging back in doesn't help, running PMS 1.7.5.4035. I've had plex for years, first time I've ran into this issue and none of the above common troubleshooting that worked for me previously has worked with this.