Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex not importing new media - how can I fix without reinstalling?

dougthegreatdougthegreat Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass

So I have a rather bizarre issue that I'm hoping can be resolved without reinstalling Plex on my NVIDIA SHIELD device, because it would take a really long time to get everything imported.

Today I copied the second season of an old TV series, did a refresh, and Plex didn't detect it... which was really odd. It detected the first season fine when I added it last week. The file naming conventions on both are the same, but just to be sure that wasn't the issue, I created a "Home Movies" category and put my MP4s in there. The files still didn't show up.

Now the real kicker is that I overwrote one of the season one MP4s with the season two MP4 - and it played the new file masquerading as the old episode just fine, so I know it's not because the files are unplayable or somesuch.

So then I took one of the TV shows that is currently imported and in my library and copied it to the earlier Home Movies directory I created and did another refresh - nothing!

So it seems like the process that imports my media is no longer working. I tried restarting my SHIELD but am having the same issue. If at all possible I'd like to resolve without reinstalling Plex, as I have a pretty gigantic movie library that would take quite a bit of time to import over again.

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,638 Plex Employee

look at the scanner logs and look to see if it saw the files at all.

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • dougthegreatdougthegreat Members, Plex Pass Posts: 7 Plex Pass
    edited May 9

Unfortunately I can't get them. I have no visible Settings > Server > Help.

• rouqrouq Members, Plex Pass Posts: 136 Plex Pass

You have a very old server. You need to update. From your computer, in a browser, go on Google play store, search for plex server. Click on install, log in using the Shield Google account and select your Shield. This will push the latest server on your Shield.

I did the update. Is there a particular reason why Google Play wouldn't be notifying that an update was available? It has definitely prompted me in the past.

edited May 9

Okay, according to the log:

Couldn't check for the existence of file /storage/HOMENAS/Multimedia/TV: boost::filesystem::status: Permission denied: "/storage/HOMENAS/Multimedia/TV"

And now I can't get to any of my TV shows. Even the ones that were working yesterday.

This is nonsensical. I can see the folders just fine from SMB on any computer using the same credentials as what the SHIELD is using. I haven't changed any permissions on the NAS in at least a year.