Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Subtitles for managed users

superblammosuperblammo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass

Hi, big fan of Plex, have been running it for a while.

Just got an NVIDIA SHIELD TV to run the media server, and it's been working great. Except for when it comes to subtitles for managed users:

• They are off by default
  • I haven't found a way to change this for managed users
  • I can't even episode by episode, movie by movie, enable the subtitles using the remote

What are my options here? Is there a way to use the remote to enable subtitles for a managed user before playing? Or better yet, is there a secret way to force subtitles to be enabled by default (or even just always)?

My current workaround is to use the Android app to select subtitles first, then cast to the SHIELD, which is suboptimal. In the past I hacked the database to enable subtitles for managed users, using this trick.

Any advice and tricks would be appreciated.

Oh by the way, the Android icon is off, so I cleaned it up (source files and Android ready icons attached in zip format). Anyone know how I might reach a Plex dev with this?

Best Answer

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,572 Plex Employee

Managed users currently should take defaults from whatever yours as admin are in Settings>Server> Languages ( if you audio and subtitle tracks are not tagged in file it will not work optimally to know things like enabling english subs when audio is not english

On the Android TV player during play back you change the subtitles by bringing up the controls and choosing the closed caption option (CC icon) and change the subtitle to whatever you want. before playback you choose settings on preplay screen.

All the screens below were taken while logged in as a managed user

on Mobile app sub selection is on the bottom or preplay screen ( or during playback via on screen control settings)

Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files
  • superblammosuperblammo Members, Plex Pass Posts: 4 Plex Pass
    edited May 11

Hey @BigWheel, thanks so much for your reply!

The fact that I can actually enable subtitles on a per episode or movie basis through the remote is an eyeopener, I did not know how to do that. Really happy, that makes things a lot easier. Thank you.

Managed users currently should take defaults from whatever yours as admin are in Settings>Server> Languages ( if you audio and subtitle tracks are not tagged in file it will not work optimally to know things like enabling english subs when audio is not english

These are my admin user server settings for subtitles, can you take a look and see if they are right?

If they are right, they are still not enabled by default. Here's an episode where they default to off:

edited May 11

Updates, yay! Thanks for asking!

As a thank you, you can use that icon I provided to fix the Android icon issues ;)

Happy to report that a recent update to the software seems to have fixed this. You can now enable subtitles for managed users with these instructions:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/204985278