Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Playing HD contents

Sgt HartmanSgt Hartman Posts: 35 Plex Pass

Hello,

Maybe it's just my case but having a domestic wired system with a Shield Pro as media player and a QNAP 653A for data storage, I honestly was aspecting better performances in terms of quality while running Plex.

I have several 1:1 BD mkv and in some cases the playback is not fluid, often getting stuck or slowed down. Running subtitles is a nightmare, both pgs or external srt, I tried all available options but nothing change. Audio as well sometimes appears turned down. I tried running the PMS both on NAS and Shield but nothing really changed.

Please forgive me if I say it, but playing files with Kodi, but also VLC, is completely another story. So far I haven't detect any issue faced with Plex.

Did you also have this kind of problems and eventually find a solution? I honestly would like to continue to use Plex since I love the way it is built.

Thanks!

Comments

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 2,785 Plex Pass

Is your Plex client on the SHIELD up to date?

• Sgt HartmanSgt Hartman Posts: 35 Plex Pass

@danjames92 said:

Yes, it is.

edited May 12

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

Yes, it is.

Which version? Shield software up to date?

Can you describe your problem in detail please? Your description is a bit vague, does the video or audio slow down?

Can you tell me more about your setup?

HDMI FROM SHIELD TO AVR TO TV?

@danjames92 said:

Can you describe your problem in detail please? Your description is a bit vague, does the video or audio slow down?

PMS on NAS is 1.6.1.3722, on Shield (client, direct play & stream) version 5.9.2.805, burn subtitles "automatic", local video quality on original.

If I want subtitles with EVERY file I play I have problems. Playback continuosly get stuck, as soon I remove them everyting turns ok. I tried all subs options but nothing changes.

With some, not all, 1:1 BD mkv looks like Plex has buffering problems, loading the file is slower than playing. I.e. Pride & Prejudice (VC1).

NAS and Shield are wired to the router. The Shield is HDMI connected directly to the TV.

edited May 12

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

PMS on NAS is 1.6.1.3722, on Shield (client, direct play & stream) version 5.9.2.805, burn subtitles "automatic", local video quality on original.

If I want subtitles with EVERY file I play I have problems. Playback continuosly get stuck, as soon I remove them everyting turns ok. I tried all subs options but nothing changes.

With some, not all, 1:1 BD mkv looks like Plex has buffering problems, loading the file is slower than playing. I.e. Pride & Prejudice (VC1).

NAS and Shield are wired to the router. The Shield is HDMI connected directly to the TV.

Ok. Do you not have a avr / 5.1 setup?

Can you turn on the player info in the settings to see if the subs being on is forcing a video transcode? I'm assuming audio is being transcoded.

@danjames92 said:

Can you turn on the player info in the settings to see if the subs being on is forcing a video transcode? I'm assuming audio is being transcoded.

No AVR, only Media Player and TV.

For the movie that I mentioned both audio and video are reported as transcoding.

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

No AVR, only Media Player and TV.

For the movie that I mentioned both audio and video are reported as transcoding.

For VC-1, is there any change with setting burn subs to image formats only?

@danjames92 said:

So, I tried in this way. I put "forced" in direct play and subs burned to image format only. Video works fine as well as for subtitles (WOW!) but there's no audio now (d'oh!). Audio is DTS 5.1 and DTS-HD 7.1

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

So, I tried in this way. I put "forced" in direct play and subs burned to image format only. Video works fine as well as for subtitles (WOW!) but there's no audio now (d'oh!). Audio is DTS 5.1 and DTS-HD 7.1

Your problem is that you have no avr / amp. TV's can't pass HD audio which is forcing a transcode. Because or this, subs have to be burnt into the video which forces a single thread transcode on your weak nas resulting in the slow down you're seeing.

@danjames92 said:

Your problem is that you have no avr / amp. TV's can't pass HD audio which is forcing a transcode. Because or this, subs have to be burnt into the video which forces a single thread transcode on your weak nas resulting in the slow down you're seeing.

Oh fudge, so I'm scre..d..... Question, why with Kodi I don't have the same problem faced with Plex?

edited May 13

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

Oh fudge, so I'm scre..d..... Question, why with Kodi I don't have the same problem faced with Plex?

You do have Audio Passthrough set to Auto, right?

A number of reasons, default kodi settings use LPCM for every audio codec. Decoding the audio in software and outputting LPCM, all tvs can output LPCM 2.0. It is not forced to bitstream like the Plex app currently is. Hopefully one day, we will have an option to decode as LPCM too.

Kodi is a custom built video player with years of development, it doesn't rely on using ExoPlayer, it has its own player.

As it stands, I'm a little unsure at why the audio being transcoded is forcing the subs and therefore video to be transcoded.

I think there is still a bug where subs are forced to be transcoded into the video so they don't go out of sync but I was sure that was only .SRT subs. Maybe I was mistaken.

Perhaps if you provide a server / client log, @cayars will be able to confirm with a dev if this is the correct behaviour that you should be seeing as I'm not 100% sure it is. VC-1 should be able to be sent direct stream alongside transcoded audio AFAIK?

• cayarscayars Posts: 3,763 Plex Ninja

Feel free to post the logs here and many people can take a look. Sometimes this can be tricky to find, so more eyes looking are good. If we can't figure it out or find it's not working as expected I'd be happy to pass the info along or get a dev involved depending on the circumstances. Any other Ninja reading this section of the site would do the same as well.

Carlo

• adamd777adamd777 Posts: 3

@danjames92 said:

@Sgt Hartman said:

@danjames92 said:

You do have Audio Passthrough set to Auto, right?

A number of reasons, default kodi settings use LPCM for every audio codec. Decoding the audio in software and outputting LPCM, all tvs can output LPCM 2.0. It is not forced to bitstream like the Plex app currently is. Hopefully one day, we will have an option to decode as LPCM too.

Kodi is a custom built video player with years of development, it doesn't rely on using ExoPlayer, it has its own player.

As it stands, I'm a little unsure at why the audio being transcoded is forcing the subs and therefore video to be transcoded.

I think there is still a bug where subs are forced to be transcoded into the video so they don't go out of sync but I was sure that was only .SRT subs. Maybe I was mistaken.

Perhaps if you provide a server / client log, @cayars will be able to confirm with a dev if this is the correct behaviour that you should be seeing as I'm not 100% sure it is. VC-1 should be able to be sent direct stream alongside transcoded audio AFAIK?

Exactly what I wanted to ask, Thanks.
    Pretty weird, to be honest, the shield have more than enough horse power to decode anything in software.

• cayarscayars Posts: 3,763 Plex Ninja

Not sure I'd say that. However it has hardware encoding built in which even Plex server running on the box can use.

• adamd777adamd777 Posts: 3

@cayars said:
    Not sure I'd say that. However it has hardware encoding built in which even Plex server running on the box can use.

Just to make sure, I was referring to the fact that on Kodi, for example, if the video decoding is done in hardware audio decoding of HD audio to PCM is done without issues.
    In fact, it works on much weaker devices (Raspberry pi, for example).
    Haven't tested decoding video AND audio in software.
    Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, it basically boils down to not being implemented, not some other limitation.

Hello guys,

Here below the link to download my logs. I hope it could help.

https://we.tl/0VTGaZk2BJ

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 14,901 Plex Employee

@adamd777 said:
    Just to make sure, I was referring to the fact that on Kodi, for example, if the video decoding is done in hardware audio decoding of HD audio to PCM is done without issues.
    Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, it basically boils down to not being implemented, not some other limitation.

This is not correct. Kodi does all decoding in software. They use their own special video player so they can do this. The Plex App utilizes the Shield's hardware so there are actual limitations.