Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

mkv files always transcode when having 5-channel DTS or 5-channel Dolby Digital

This discussion was created from comments split from: Windows 10, no DTS audio.

Comments

• marcisikoffmarcisikoff Members, Plex Pass Posts: 41 Plex Pass

To be sure I have Server showing: 1.5.5.3634 as latest version (where you can check for newer).

I also have Window 10 as client with the Plex App from the Windows Store as well as the web front end of the server (on FreeNAS) which acts as the same as Plex App more or less.

I have continued to pound for answers but zero help.

Server winds up transcoding almost all content I have and stutters and complains. This is the case for MKV containers that have 5-channel DTS or 5-channel Dolby Digital.

This is a mess...there's no good reason why transcoding is happening, and the current server version doesn't even have an option to disallow transcoding. Direct Play options have no affect and Plex team seems apathetic on this issue.

I've had to resort to copying the files to my desktop and opening VLC to play them out with their native audio.

I don't want to hear "blame Microsoft" because Microsoft allows DTS, DD, and almost all lower formats of audio to play and multiple programs and applications exist which play fine under those codecs without throttling the system for transcoding.

But Plex's server or windows client applications don't seem to play well which ruins the entire Plex experience.

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,557 Plex Team Member

@marcisikoff said:
    To be sure I have Server showing: 1.5.5.3634 as latest version (where you can check for newer).

I also have Window 10 as client with the Plex App from the Windows Store as well as the web front end of the server (on FreeNAS) which acts as the same as Plex App more or less.

I have continued to pound for answers but zero help.

Server winds up transcoding almost all content I have and stutters and complains. This is the case for MKV containers that have 5-channel DTS or 5-channel Dolby Digital.

This is a mess...there's no good reason why transcoding is happening, and the current server version doesn't even have an option to disallow transcoding. Direct Play options have no affect and Plex team seems apathetic on this issue.

I've had to resort to copying the files to my desktop and opening VLC to play them out with their native audio.

I don't want to hear "blame Microsoft" because Microsoft allows DTS, DD, and almost all lower formats of audio to play and multiple programs and applications exist which play fine under those codecs without throttling the system for transcoding.

But Plex's server or windows client applications don't seem to play well which ruins the entire Plex experience.

I don't think we ever had any logs / diagnostics to see why it is happening.

The previous post you had about this back in March (https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/1408314/#Comment_1408314) was when there were issues on FreeBSD transcode temporary directory access which were the subject of the forum topic you posted in

Could I suggest you provide the following,
    A test carried out with debug logging enabled on the server
    capturing server and windows plex app logs
    and getting the media info for the mkv
    and details of your HDMI connection setup

and if you could also try the same with Plex Media Player and see if it is different

For logs
    For the Plex for Windows Store App logging, go to Settings within the app and select Advanced and ensure Logging is ON before you do the test
    For Plex Media Server logging, goto server general settings and ensure debug logging is enabled
    See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201643703-Reporting-issues-with-Plex-Media-Server

Then select a sample file that you do not believe should be transcoded and play that
    Collect the logs,
    For Server logs, See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200250417-Plex-Media-Server-Log-Files
    For the windows app log, go to settings within the app then Advanced and select option Email diagnostics which will show where the diagnostics.zip is. Either email it to yourself to attach here or copy it out from the path shown

And please get the media info for the test mkv file
    See
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201998867-Investigate-Media-Information-and-Formats

Attach logs zips (server and app) plus the media info.

Could you also see if using Plex Media Player gives you what you want to achieve. Plex Media Player does its own encoding if needed and may Direct Play.
    The download for Windows is available here https://plex.tv/downloads
    Current version is 1.3.0

Help given free on forums.            Fee-Based Personal Support & Help.        

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Support Information              Troubleshooting               FAQs

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

• sa2000sa2000 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 27,557 Plex Team Member

@marcisikoff I have confirmation that there is no direct DTS support within the Windows Universal Platform (UWP) - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/audio-video-camera/supported-codecs

Your only option is to use Plex Media Player which does its own encoding when needed

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Plex Media Server:   Reporting Issues        Plex Web App: Debug Log    Plex Apps: Support pages and Logs    Logs: All Logs

For list of 3rd party programs and malware / adware crashing Plex Media Server and mswsock.dll on windows, see Repeated crashing of Plex Media Server on Windows

Just as a note for the future, it is always best to raise forum topics in the forums that relate to your application or server - rather than tag on by adding posts in unrelated forum topics - well related in some way but not the actual problem that you have