Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Stop Playback - New Web UI

rlobbinsrlobbins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass

Hello, I have someone that has a Samsung TV that does not understand how to force it to play at 4Mbps. With the new WebUI they added the ability to stop streams. Every client seems to have been updated to follow the new commands, however the Samsung App just ignores the stop playback requests. Will this be fixed in an upcoming release, I don't really like that this one platform ignores server side commands? I have tried to explain to them how to configure the app and change remote playback to transcode, but the app just seems to ignore the settings and still direct plays every file.

I'm about ready to just stop sharing with them, but if this feature is coming up I can leave messages to them telling them why I am killing their streams.

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,246 Plex Ninja

Depends on the version they are running. This feature is quite recent so they need v 2.007 or higher.

v 2.007

• New: If the PMS bandwidth is limited and Direct Play is not possible, playback in auto mode will switch to transcoding

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• rlobbinsrlobbins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass
    edited May 11

@Orca said:
    Depends on the version they are running. This feature is quite recent so they need v 2.007 or higher.

v 2.007

• New: If the PMS bandwidth is limited and Direct Play is not possible, playback in auto mode will switch to transcoding

Does this require you to use the streaming brain? I don't currently use that because I stream at 8-12Mbps and people I share with will stream at 4-8 depending on if they are friends/family. With the streaming brain if I wanted to lock streams at 4Mbps I would have to set it to 8Mbps. This would also degrade any stream I wanted to run, so relying on the streaming brain to over ride the app is not preferred.

Is there any reason why the Samsung app applies the local server settings even though the server is remote? This seems to always be the issue when I try to get the Samsung apps to play nice with 4Mbps remote streaming. If everything isn't configured just right it ignores the rules and direct plays every file. I can't really support multiple streams if this one tv is pulling down a 18Mbps bluray rip because it doesn't want to apply the remote rules.

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,246 Plex Ninja

If you want a fixed setting, you can easily set the app to use transcoding all the time and set the remote quality under preferences.

A remote quality of about 7 or 8 should do the trick and setting the Playbackmode to Transcoding in preferences will make everything transcode.

It can all be found in the manual , you can download from the link in my footer:

Have you checked if your answer might be in the User Manual?
    My Samsung environment:

2010 BD-C5500 Blu-Ray,
    2011 UE46D7000 LED-TV,

2012 BD-ES6000 Blu-Ray,

2014 UE55HU8500L UHD LED TV

If you enjoy this free app, you can buy me a beer by making a Donation

• rlobbinsrlobbins Members, Plex Pass Posts: 176 Plex Pass
    edited May 11

Yeah I have used that in the past to help configure, it's just when we would test it wouldn't apply the force transcode unless we applied it to the local settings as well. Once we set both local and remote to transcode and 8 it finally started to work.

When it was just remote set to transcode and local left alone it would always choose to apply the local rules and still direct play even though the server was remote. This was years ago and I hate your app because of it lol, but it still seems to be a pain to explain to users how to set their stuff up to follow remote rules. You guys should really work on a ui update to be more in line with how other Plex clients are configured. I will try to work with them again to configure their settings properly on their new tv, their old TV is configured fine.

As far as the stop playback question originally, most of the time it immediately just errors out saying playback could not be stopped and the client keeps on playing.