Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Hardware assisted playback / transcoding on Shield

ptaylorptaylor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass
edited May 12 in NVIDIA SHIELD

I record TV with an HD Homerun Prime using another software package which names the files in a format that Plex likes, so they import after the recording is done. I'm using the Plex server on the Shield to connect across my LAN to where these files are stored. The files are MPEG2 .ts files.

It's my understanding that the shield can play MPEG2 with hardware assistance, so I would expect them to play back buttery smooth, but they don't. It looks like it is transcoding it to "Original", which on a 1080p show still seems to cause long pauses when I fast forward. If I lower the quality down a few notches, it seems to do a better job when I skip ahead, but still not like playing it back without transcoding.

But, why is it transcoding this at all? It should be able to play it directly with the hardware, shouldn't it?

Edit to add: I've tried setting Direct Play to Forced, but then it doesn't seem to want to play at all.

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,371 Plex Employee

The Shield does not support direct playback of mpeg2.

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,062 Plex Pass

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    The Shield does not support direct playback of mpeg2.

Yes it does. It has a inbuilt decoder.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 15,371 Plex Employee

Oops, sorry. Yes, mpeg2 is supported on the Shield. If it is transcoding, it's for some other reason. You'll need to provide the logs from the app after trying to playback this video.

• danjames92danjames92 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3,062 Plex Pass
    edited May 13

OP.

I would suggest not using .TS files. ExoPlayer, the player for the Plex for Android TV app, does not like .TS files very much, at least not in it's current revision. This may change when the app is upgraded to ExoPlayer 2.x. You would no doubt get better results if the recordings were remuxed into .MKV at the moment.

Check you have local quality set to original, audio passthrough to auto in the Plex settings.

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

• ptaylorptaylor Members, Plex Pass Posts: 48 Plex Pass

Thanks for the info. I think this won't matter too much as I'll probably only use Plex as the client on my phone when I'm not home, so it will need to transcode anyhow at that point.