Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex DVR (Beta) - No write access to destination

mwangmwang Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I set up Plex DVR a little while ago, and I started trying to record a few shows, but I get the error "No write access to destination" on every show I attempt.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.0.4 LTS, and I'm using an HDHomeRun Connect. The tuner is working because I can stream the shows live on the HDHomeView application. I have my files on an external hfsplus drive, which has worked fine for all other plex functions. I can read and write to that drive, and Plex reads perfectly from its directories.

In /etc/fstab, the drive has the following:

UUID=......... /media/external hfsplus defaults,auto,nofail,user

I had also tried with

UUID=.......... /media/external hfsplus defaults, uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0022,fmask=0022 0 0
but neither of those permissions work. Any ideas?

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,128 Plex Team Member

Move it away from /media. Ubuntu has the nasty habit of taking exclusive control.

I always recommend something obvious like /disks .

Gnome will take exclusive access to anything it mounts but Ubuntu seems to want all of /media. I never understood why they do.

`

• mwangmwang Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I will certainly try that when I have access to my server again - would you recommend a specific set of permissions or do either of those work fine? I'm surprised that this problem surfaces mainly with the DVR, but I guess that has to do with write access.

• mwangmwang Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    Move it away from /media. Ubuntu has the nasty habit of taking exclusive control.

I always recommend something obvious like /disks .

Gnome will take exclusive access to anything it mounts but Ubuntu seems to want all of /media. I never understood why they do.

This solution did not work for me, are there any other suggestions?

• ember1205ember1205 Members Posts: 32 ✭✭

Filesystems are mounted at boot, effectively as the superuser (root). Permissions and ownership takes over from there.

If your drive is mounted on /mnt/drive1, the do the following:

cd /mnt

Then

ls -l

Paste the output here.

Also, do:

cat /etc/password | grep plex

Paste the output here.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,128 Plex Team Member

@mwang said:
    I will certainly try that when I have access to my server again - would you recommend a specific set of permissions or do either of those work fine? I'm surprised that this problem surfaces mainly with the DVR, but I guess that has to do with write access.

DVR is the only function which writes to a library. As such, it is the only function of PMS which needs write access to somewhere

The quickest adjustment for you, if all your media files are owned by you (e.g. chuck:chuck) is to:

1. add user plex to the chuck group.
    2. change the permissions on all needed directories to permit writing by plex:chuck. and setting the sticky bit

This would be done as:

chmod 0775 /some/media/dir
    chmod g+s  /some/media/dir

The first one sets the directory permissions.
    The second one sets the sticky bit so all files written in the directory assume the group value of the directory (which is your group)

Files will appear (as example)

drwxr-xr-x    2 chuck chuck       4096 Jun 17  2015 You Only Live Twice (1967)/
    drwxr-xr-x    2 plex  chuck       4096 Feb 18 01:33 Zero Days (2016)/