Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Ghost in the Shell (2017)

aeonxaeonx Posts: 1,326Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
edited May 13 in Plex Film Club

Has anyone seen the 2017 live action remake of Ghost in the Shell? What do you think about it?

It's visually spectacular... no surprise coming from a commercial and music video director, Rupert Sanders. I have rarely seen a movie this visual, in a good way. It's close to perfection in that regard. It has a Blade Runner feel to it.

What I hear though is that the original story and the Japanese culture have been watered down to appeal to a wider worldwide audience outside of Japan. But there's still plenty of story to devour, and apparently the original manga creator Masamune Shirow approves of the film adaptation.

5 minutes of the movie and the trailer:

11 minutes of behind the scenes:

Comments

• aeonxaeonx Posts: 1,326Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited June 3

Damn... if this version of Ghost in the Shell is watered down, I don't want to watch the original... it's creepy and violent as hell at times. But that's my personal taste.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,364Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja
    edited May 13

There is no 'original' as such, AFAIK.

The Anime movie is quite good. Recommended. It may take some experience with japanese culture to 'get' some aspects of it, but it is a good movie for starters.
    If you had no problems watching Akira (1988), then it is easily as good.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell_(1995_film)

The anime series is quite violent sometimes, yes.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_in_the_Shell:_Stand_Alone_Complex

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
    edited May 19

@OttoKerner Thanks for the recommendations! I liked Ghost in the Shell overall, especially the cinematography, VFX and production design, but it's very violent for my taste, and the story/themes are a bit disturbing at times. Hard to believe it's from the same director who made Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) with Kristen Stewart.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,364Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Why should artists always work within the same narrow frame?

I just rewatched the animated movie.
    There are 2 very short scenes in it which could be considered 'gore'. But neither is given much attention or shown very close-up.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
    edited June 3

I agree, it produces interesting results when artists/directors try their hand at new genres. Having said that, Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) has a similar style in cinematography, VFX and production design, and was also very dark in its tone. It got a nomination for best visual effects and best costume design at the 85th Academy Awards, as a side note.

I think director Rupert Sanders does have his own style that he applies to different projects and doesn't deviate too much from, regardless of genre. He has also directed a short film/commercial for Halo, which features a similar visual style as Ghost in the Shell (2017):

Here's a making of from that commercial: