Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Allow adding Subgenres

produceproduce Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

So in my Comedy category on my hdd for example, it's divided like this:
80's
By Actor
Adam Sandler
Ben Stiller
Etc
Classic
Standup
(Everything Else)

If I just add my Comedy Folder to Plex, I wont get that division. If i add every separate subfolder including Action, Crime, etc which also have their own similar subfolders, I'd have like 50 folders.

It would be nice if all I'd have to do is list the main Folders, Action, Comedy, Crime, Fantasy, Etc

And then append as many subfolders as I like.

So when you actually go to choose a movie, when you click Comedy for example, it expands that selection adding the 4 or 5 subgenres below, meanwhile the "Comedy" box is still selected. So if I just wanted General Comedy, all I would have to do is Double Tap comedy and the full comedy browse section opens, but if I want just 80's Comedy for example, I would click once, then go down to 80's then click again. If I were to click Comedy, and then say I change my mind after browsing the subgenres I could click the back button to collapse it, or just browse up or down to the other Genre I want to browse, say Western, and when I click Western, the Comedy section would auto collapse and then the Western section would expand. And of course if there are no subgenres assigned the Selection would open with 1 click as it does now.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 23,447 Plex Ninja

Genres exists as 'tags' which you attach to certain movies or not.

Movies almost always belong into several Genres at once. And that is something which you cannot represent with a folder/subfolder structure.
    That's why these endless subfolder structures don't exist in Plex.

You can filter your library down to a genre/subgenre. Even with several filter citeria at once.

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • produceproduce Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Maybe I wasn't clear. The way I currently have Plex set up is by genre meaning each movie category is a genre folder on my computer.

Example: Comedy.....Fantasy......Action.

What I'm suggesting is, sub Categories not subgenres.

So in Plex yes you do link your folders to your categories I don't know what you're talking about.

So what I'm saying is, you could link your main folder.....and then create subfolder links within that category I thought I was pretty thorough in explaining how it worked with the original post I don't see how you could be confused.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass
    edited May 19

You have movies grouped on your drive according to genre, but Plex doesn't care where the media is located. It uses tags to allow users to filter media according to what they want. As an example, I follow the Plex naming convention, and I have two drives with movies in them: D:\Movies and E:\Movies. In the Movies library, both of those directories are used for media sources. Plex scans those directories and adds the media to its library. If I want to see all movies in the comedy genre I just change the filter from All to Genre -> Comedy.

So, directory structure isn't really important when it comes to Plex. You can keep your existing structure and just add the individual category directories to the Movies library, then use filtering to display the genre you want. But to make things easier, you might consider making a single genre sub-directory and putting all movies in there, instead of having sub-sub-directories. So, like this: e:\movies\comedy, e:\movies\drama, etc.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

• produceproduce Members Posts: 8 ✭✭

Forget Genre. That's not important. I'm talking subfolders. If I want to see all comedy that's great I add my comedy folder.......but if i want to see just 80's comedies......or just Will Ferrel Comedies........or just Stan-Up comedies........those folders already exist.......but in the current plex format........i'd have to add 20 seperate categories for comedy to include all my subdivisions........what im saying is.......you should be able to make subcategories within your main categories.......to reflect the folder structures on your harddrive so you can divide major movie/tv categories as you wish.

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,274 Plex Pass

@produce said:
    Forget Genre. That's not important. I'm talking subfolders. If I want to see all comedy that's great I add my comedy folder.......but if i want to see just 80's comedies......or just Will Ferrel Comedies........or just Stan-Up comedies........those folders already exist.......but in the current plex format........i'd have to add 20 seperate categories for comedy to include all my subdivisions........what im saying is.......you should be able to make subcategories within your main categories.......to reflect the folder structures on your harddrive so you can divide major movie/tv categories as you wish.

With proper tags for each movie, putting them into different subdirectories isn't necessary at all. That's the major difference between having an application that tries to create a library structure based on directory structure, and having an application that builds a library based on tagging and being free from the confines of where files are placed on a hard drive. Plex chooses to do that latter.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.8.0 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision