Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Performance w/Ubuntu on a Flash Drive?

tmeitnertmeitner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

Hi there,

I am currently running my PMS on a partition of one of my media storage drives. I seem to be having some issues that I think are related to the drive itself. That's not a big deal, but I'm looking to see if there's a way to run Ubuntu on a different drive. Since I don't have much space left to put in another drive, would it be reasonable to install Ubuntu and PMS on a good USB 3.0 flash drive? What is there to consider as far as performance? It runs beautifully right now, but I'm somewhat worried that I'm taxing the drive too much and I'm going to lose the drive in the near future (I have backups, I'd just like to avoid the headache).

Thanks for any input. Happy to answer any questions to help make this clearer!

Best Answers

Answers

• blevins0321@gmail.comblevins0321@gmail.com Members, Plex Pass Posts: 126 Plex Pass

If you use one of these, you'll probably be fine. But as said above, I wouldn't recommend a Walgreens checkout-lane-quality drive.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,128 Plex Team Member
    edited May 16

I tried a SanDisk. On Linux, I tried using it. It overheated and burned itself out. That's why I went with the Corsair Voyager GTX.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/usb-drives/flash-voyager-gtx

You can also see the other products they offer which are approaching SSD performance and durability although nothing compares with a real SSD.

• tmeitnertmeitner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 36 Plex Pass

@ChuckPA said:
    I tried a SanDisk. On Linux, I tried using it. It overheated and burned itself out. That's why I went with the Corsair Voyager GTX.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/usb-drives/flash-voyager-gtx

You can also see the other products they offer which are approaching SSD performance and durability although nothing compares with a real SSD.

Okay, so you are already using a Corsair with yours. And you find the performance to be pretty good? It just would be a lot easier to get one of those and move the installation over to that then to squeeze another drive into my box.