Hey folks, there is a new Podcast category for forums https://forums.plex.tv/categories/podcasts
If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Will PMS ever allow Plex data on adopted storage? YES!!

Answers

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,581Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

The reason Plex doesn't support moving PMS to adoptable storage is that adoptable storage does not support symlinks which PMS uses for posters.

Have you tried to add movies to your server? Do you see posters?

• goose2600goose2600 Posts: 54Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@MovieFan.Plex
    Of course I tried, and it works as expected (I see posters).

As I can see, PMS does not support moving data to the external adopted storage just because of its app manifest: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/manifest-element.html#install

• MovieFan.PlexMovieFan.Plex Posts: 17,581Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Employee

Can you confirm that the movie poster data also got moved to the adopted storage? As far as I know, moving the app can be done just like you said, however the metadata folder uses symlinks which we've found does not work on adopted storage.

• Strategizer8520Strategizer8520 Posts: 60Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited December 2017

@MovieFan.Plex said:
    Can you confirm that the movie poster data also got moved to the adopted storage? As far as I know, moving the app can be done just like you said, however the metadata folder uses symlinks which we've found does not work on adopted storage.

No, Movie posters will not work if moved/symlinked to Adoptive Storage while Plex PMS is installed on internal, Plugins will work Symlinked just fine though.

@MovieFan.Plex , @goose2600 (Me included & many others) has used a different method to have Plex PMS & all its data completely on Adoptive Storage using this method. https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/general/guide-t3692061

Root,
    Uninstall Plex PMS completely from Shield,
    Force all apps to Adoptive Storage in Dev Settings,
    Install/Send Plex PMS from Google Store to Shield through browser,
    Plex PMS & all data is now located on Adoptive Storage & all works just as it would from internal storage.

@Strategizer8520 is right, I used the mentioned method from xda.

@Strategizer8520 said:
    No, Movie posters will not work if moved/symlinked to Adoptive Storage while Plex PMS is installed on internal, Plugins will work Symlinked just fine though.

Right, from our testing symlinks do not work when they are on the adopted storage, if they stay on internal and just point to the adopted storage that works so the plugins thing makes sense. And posters not working since the symlink for posters would not be on the adopted storage.

@MovieFan.Plex , @goose2600 (Me included & many others) has used a different method to have Plex PMS & all its data completely on Adoptive Storage using this method. https://forum.xda-developers.com/shield-tv/general/guide-t3692061

This is the part I don't get. Moving the app to adopted storage would cause the metadata to also get moved to adopted storage and the symlinks to the posters should no longer work. Unless what is happening is that only the app portion is moved but the metadata is still on internal. This is what I was hoping someone could confirm. Where is the metadata folder? Is it really on the adopted storage.

edited December 2017

I can confirm that metadata is really on the adopted storage (/mnt/expand/longstoragecode/user/0/).

I have simlink just for the plugins folder, because can't write on data partition, even if is on the adopted storage.

@MovieFan.Plex said:

@Strategizer8520 said:

Right, from our testing symlinks do not work when they are on the adopted storage, if they stay on internal and just point to the adopted storage that works so the plugins thing makes sense. And posters not working since the symlink for posters would not be on the adopted storage.

This is the part I don't get. Moving the app to adopted storage would cause the metadata to also get moved to adopted storage and the symlinks to the posters should no longer work. Unless what is happening is that only the app portion is moved but the metadata is still on internal. This is what I was hoping someone could confirm. Where is the metadata folder? Is it really on the adopted storage.

As @goose2600 said, All of Plex PMS & its data is 100% on Adoptive Storage using the method above. The app isnt "Moved", Its been deleted completely from the system, Then re-installed from the play store while "Force apps to USB" is enabled in Dev Settings. All of "com.plexapp.mediaserver.smb" install data (Metadata & everything else) is located on Adoptive Storage in (/mnt/expand/longstoragecode/user/0/), No sign of it on internal at all. Still need to Symlink the Plugins folder to /sdcard though, As goose2600 said.

I have another Shield setup like this. 9GB Plex PMS data size, But only 1.6GB of internal storage used (Size of all system apps combined, & 9GB of adoptive storage used. It works just like that ^^^ That's why so many of us are left scratching our head when Plex PMS is forced on the very limited internal storage, But has been proven to work just fine from a much lager/faster adoptive storage, If not better.

• steveh11284steveh11284 Posts: 27Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I've been looking at possibly purchasing a Shield and was wondering, with this rooting method on the 16GB, would I be able to store PMS across my network on an external hard drive that's attached to my computer? This is also where my library files would reside as well. Or would I just need to get a smaller hard drive and attach directly to the Shield for app storage?

• Elijah_BaleyElijah_Baley Posts: 5,054Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@steveh11284 said:
    I've been looking at possibly purchasing a Shield and was wondering, with this rooting method on the 16GB, would I be able to store PMS across my network on an external hard drive that's attached to my computer? This is also where my library files would reside as well. Or would I just need to get a smaller hard drive and attach directly to the Shield for app storage?

You never ever want to store Plex data anywhere but on drives internal or attached to the device where the Plex server is running. Any networked storage will, sooner rather than later, cause access failures or database corruption. If adopted storage on the Shield can be made to work then that would, most probably, be fine but when you move the data out to a networked drive the chances of corruption of the database increases exponentially.

Using an attached drive has some risk due to the increased possibility of some kind of poor communication or power drops to the external drive but that risk is pretty low.

Media files are fine on networked drives because little glitches and interruptions matter little in streaming but in database access it matters a LOT.

“The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.” Philip K. Dic*k (This STUPID forum software does not allow a perfectly valid last name, hence the unusual looking formating)

From a High School paper on Greek Philosophers:
    "Socrates was a famous Greek teacher who went around giving people advice. They killed him. Socrates died from an overdose of wedlock."

edited December 2017

This method let you only to store the PMS's data (not the libraries, but metadata and databases) on an external storage, directly attached to the Shield as "adopted storage".

In this case, I suggest to get a msata flash drive.

Edit: @Elijah_Baley was faster than me :)

• l0f5x011l0f5x011 Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Interesting option here to get PMS server on Adopted storage. Hope Plex investigate and come up with a solution. I was making my decision on which version to purchase just at the time when the new 16 Gig model was being launched and decided to get the 16Gig with an external 256Gig SSD as adopted storage because i expected it to perform better than the PRO with spinning disks. The Plex issue was not one that I was aware of at the time. I have been patiently waiting on a solution but not keen to root my shield because i see too many having trouble with rooted shields with every new update on the shield.

Hopefully with this new information PLEX can resolve this once and for all.

edited December 2017

The root method does not make a magic, it just allows user to choose the install location, overriding the app's manifes (by toggling the proper setting in developer options).

Plex should declare the attribute android:installLocation="auto" in the app manifest, to let user to choose where to install PMS (and Nvidia should move the PMS from system apps to user apps).

Edit: my Shield is rooted from the first day I got it and never experienced a problem! ;)

• toemketoemke Posts: 11Members ✭✭

I just ordered a 16Gb Shield partially to upgrade my Raspberry Pi Plex server. Until moving PMS onto adopted storage is solved officially, I plan to root my shield and install it with the mentioned method from XDA.
    I'd think that with rooting I would have to update the Shield manually. Is it possible to unroot after installing PMS to adopted storage to get autoupdates? Would PMS still run like that? Further more, would the PMS app still autoupdate?

edited December 2017

@toemke said:
    I'd think that with rooting I would have to update the Shield manually. Is it possible to unroot after installing PMS to adopted storage to get autoupdates? Would PMS still run like that? Further more, would the PMS app still autoupdate?

Nvidia OTA updates should works, but actually I will know when Nvidia will push the next update.
    On other Android devices, a custom recovery (ie Twrp) could break OTA updates, but you can fix it simply by flashing the stock recovery via adb.
    Once updated, you have just to reroot (I am running Magisk systemless root).

Nvidia itself ships a developer OS image (I never tried it): https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-developer-os-images

PMS gets official updates from Google Play, as it is a normal app.
    Obviously, if you unplug the external storage the PMS disappears until it's plugged back.

• erwinfjerwinfj Posts: 33Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

MovieFan.Plex - Please update us if the developers think this will work or if it won't work. I'd rather take the official updates than go through the hassles that rooting could bring.

Thanks!

• audiomixeraudiomixer Posts: 225Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@erwinfj said:
    MovieFan.Plex - Please update us if the developers think this will work or if it won't work. I'd rather take the official updates than go through the hassles that rooting could bring.

Thanks!

I too am interested in this. Wondering whether using the shield as server is better than a more powerful nas. I have to upgrade the nas as I’m at its capacity.

Well, In other news, Emby just released their server for android in a form of a .apk, That can be sideloaded & forced to adoptive storage without root ;)

Wonder how long it'll take Plex to fix this little issue knowing that Emby user's already have this feature & its only been out a week or two...

• quadro40kquadro40k Posts: 6Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

@erwinfj said:

Thanks!

Same here. The fact that rooting will erase PMS metadata makes me wait - recreating manually few thousands home/private videos is something I'd like to avoid. But as many others I'm pretty close to breaking point on my 16G Shield with space constraints being a daily reality.