Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Video and Audio going out of sync far to often

MattTwinkleToesMattTwinkleToes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

Hello Plexers, I have been using plex for about 2 years and while this is not the first time this issue has occurred, it has got the point where almost every media clip is having audio / video sync problems.

It seems to be happening the most of the Samsung TV app (the older one) and while it will happen on itś own, I can trigger it by simply skipping forward of back.

I am sure that the media sources are ok, I have checked.

The way to clear it seems to vary between stopping and starting the media clip several times until the audio and video get in sync or restarting the TV player app. This is happening with both Direct plays and Transcodes

It is happening almost every time I use the TV and is now a high profile issue that I have to fix as its pissing everyone off and we might have to start looking for something else (I want to stick with plex). It has got a lot worse since the last server update.

I have tried to adjust some settings on the app

Initial Buffer 25Mb
Pending 50Mb
Total Buffer 75Mb

My server is running on Linux Mint 18.1
PMS - Version 1.5.5.3634
plex app version 2.005
TV Samsung UE40F6200

Everything is using cat6 ethernet, no wireless involved.

Any got any ideas on how to solve this?

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,154 Plex Ninja

Please provide us with more details:

• Mediainfo on the movie in question
    • Transcoding , Direct streaming or direct playing the movie?
    • Remote server, local server?

I do have an idea what could be the issue, but you don't want to hear that I guess.
    Your model is a bit low on resources (CPU, Memory) so it might be the reason why it's going out of sync on movies that have a high bitrate or multiple audio tracks.

• MattTwinkleToesMattTwinkleToes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

Hi Orca, THe problem is not isolated to one piece of media but here is a sample of the last file that I had this issue with.

IT makes no difference weather it is transcoded, direct played or streamed. The server is on my LAN.

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 51:18
    Bitrate 10408 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1080
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MKV
    Video Frame Rate 24p
    Video Profile high
    Part

Duration 51:18
    File Sense8 - S02E05 - Fear Never Fixed Anything WEBDL-1080p.mkv
    Size 3.73 GB
    Container MKV
    Indexes sd
    Video Profile high
    Codec H264
    Bitrate 9768 kbps
    Language English
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Color Space bt709
    Frame Rate 23.976 fps
    Height 1080
    Level 4.1
    Profile high
    Ref Frames 4
    Scan Type progressive
    Width 1920
    Codec AC3
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 640 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz

• MattTwinkleToesMattTwinkleToes Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass
    edited May 18

another example and a description of the symptoms here.

It was absolutely all good until i stopped the video and went to play it back later from the last watched point. Now it is about 2 seconds out.

I have stopped it again, resumed for 0:43:02 and the audio is about 1 full second in front of the video.

Next I have quit the app, restarted the TV (from the mains power), started the app, resumed the video from 0:43:08 and it is still a few frame out, maybe 2-6 frames out.

The problem always starts when trying to resume a video (ie: not start it from the beginning) or if i pause it skip forward or back.

I should point out that Plex and this app have been mostly ok on this TV for around 2 years and this has only been a consistent problem for the past few weeks.

This file was Direct Playing

Media

Video Resolution 1080p
    Duration 1:10:19
    Bitrate 8901 kbps
    Width 1920
    Height 1080
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MKV
    Video Frame Rate PAL
    Video Profile high
    Part

Duration 1:10:19
    File Speed with Guy Martin - S03E02 - Pedal-Powered Airship Bluray-1080p.mkv
    Size 4.37 GB
    Container MKV
    Indexes sd
    Video Profile high
    Codec H264
    Bitrate 8261 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Frame Rate 25 fps
    Height 1080
    Level 4.1
    Profile high