Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex icon not showing in my system tray

Morph_247Morph_247 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Ever sense day one when I 1st installed Plex, I cannot get the icon to show in my system tray. Ever. What's weird is that I have other Plex servers on other systems and the icon shows on them.

You know where you can check for updates, and load up the Plex page.

I have uninstalled PMS several times, and it still don't show up in my system tray.

I am running Windows 10 on all my systems, is there anything I can do to force this to show up?

I even went into the hide or show icons and it still don't show.

Comments

• Morph_247Morph_247 Members Posts: 24 ✭✭

Doesn't anyone know what to do? Or?

• NewPlazaNewPlaza Members, Plex Pass Posts: 566 Plex Pass

Is this the same issue you had back in January?
    https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/253135/plex-icon-not-loading-in-taskmanager

Do you even see Plex as an option to turn on/off in notification settings?

Again I have several PC's, the Plex Icon shows in the system tray, this PC for some reason is the only one that doesn't show in the system tray.

No, I cannot see the app even in hide/unhide icons

• grhinergrhiner Members, Plex Pass Posts: 148 Plex Pass
  • leelyndsleelynds Members, Plex Pass Posts: 932 Plex Pass
    edited May 18

Probably a stupid question, but from your other post regarding the problem.

Plex will not show the icon in my task manager. I have to load it each time.

are you sure you have the Plex server configured to start up automatically? I have the server installed on one Windows 10 computer, and have the automatic start disabled because I only want the server running if I am testing something. Because of that, the app doesn't show in hide/unhide icons in task manager or in the system tray until I manually start the server...

You can enable it in the Task Manager in the "Startup" tab if it has accidentally become disabled. I suspect that auto-start may be one of those settings that sticks, even when you have un-installed and re-installed unless you have manually deleted all registry entries.

Honestly, every system is different. Even though all of your machines are Win10. There must be something different, an update, hot fix, KB download, configuration setting. Something on that OS is causing the issue.

edited June 2

Plex, you really need to fix this issue. I have 4 Plex servers, all same specs, all work but 1. I have spent countless hours except reinstall Windows 10.

The damn icon / Plex will not startup when Windows 1st loads. As long as it does this, I cannot access my server because it isn't running.

It's not starting up like it does on my other servers. It's not a Windows 10 issue because I looked in everything. Registry, completely uninstalled it, and reinstalled it. Clean up system files and what not, I've done everything but reinstall Windows 10.

I don't understand how hard it is to fix something so easy? I would pay for a Plex Pass but I can't see paying or supporting something that don't work.

I have spent countless hours, days, weeks, etc to get this friking thing to work. It just won't startup with Windows like it should, it's very very annoying.

I have PS3 Media Server, and Universal Media Server, and both work like a charm, no problems at all, I know their both different apps but it should work almost the same way.

And this don't work,

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201941078-Uninstall-Plex-Media-Server

Tried deleting the folders and some of the folders still remain, wow this thing is buggy as heck.

Even after uninstalling the server, I still can't remove some of the files and folders? Wow really?

edited June 2

@Morph_247 said:
    The damn icon / Plex will not startup when Windows 1st loads. As long as it does this, I cannot access my server because it isn't running.

Okay, this is two issues. Be sure Plex is set to run on startup as suggested by @leelynds

Check to see if Plex runs at all, at any time. Try to launch Plex from the start menu/metro screen.
    You should see the icon on the bottom-right taskbar.

And another thing, If Plex not will load automatically at bootup, then load it using a shortcut and startup folder.

Yea, I've done all of that, Again I have tried everything suggested before I came back to reply. I don't get it, I am ready to completely uninstall this thing and use something that actually works.

Their is no reason for it, if I have same specs PC with the same PMS then both should work the same way.

Idk why it's not loading the icon nor it's starting up on Windows boot up. Very annoying indeed.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 23,503 Plex Ninja

Autostarting programs need to write themselves into a special part of the Windows registry.
    sometimes they are not able to do this
    either because some antivirus software prevents it
    or because the Windows registry has set access restrictions on that part of the registry.

The registry branch in question is
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-take-full-control-of-windows-7-registry-keys

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging

Theres to many problems with this program, I deleted a movie off my hdd i no longer wanted, but Plex still shows the icon and as unavaliable, oooooooook? That makes sense. I don't get why they don't fix this crap.

Very annoying and pain in the butt program. It's not user friendly at all. Not when I have other streaming apps that are much easier to use.

This thing is buggy as hell and can't fix anything.

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 23,503 Plex Ninja

@Morph_247 said:
    Theres to many problems with this program, I deleted a movie off my hdd i no longer wanted, but Plex still shows the icon and as unavaliable, oooooooook? That makes sense. I don't get why they don't fix this crap.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202606363-How-do-I-delete-something-from-my-Library-

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging