Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Request to expand plugin interface

Now I realize this is probably asking alot. But OTOH, it may not really be too difficult for the official devs to implement. What I would like to see is the ability for a plex plugin to use a hook to call to add a button that will appear in all clients (depending on privileges though). The closest existing example would be the delete button. It's convenient, but I would love to be able to add my own extra contextual buttons to show/movie pages. I think the implementation wouldn't be too involved, as there wouldn't be any need to allow client-side code of any type. Here's my imagined use-case for this:

I would like to write a simple plugin that will run on the PMS server, and interact with other local services such as sonarr, radarr, cp, etc. I have my downloaders setup to automatically download off movie lists, but sometimes it downloads things I don't want. Or I'll watch something and determine it's not worth the hard drive space. It would be very convenient to be able to hit a button from the movie page on any client, and have radarr or cp remove that item from the watch list, and delete the local copy. OR, if the movie is broken, I can hit another button and my downloader will search for another copy to replace the broken one. Of course I only want this functionality allowed on my admin account, much like the delete button.

So I think it would be relatively trivial for the devs to implement a hook in the plugin interface that could allow me to specify a button to be added to the movie page. I would be able to specify an icon (could be chosen from a standard set of icons), along with a caption. When pressed in a client, the client would simply send a request to the server to execute a particular function in my plugin. Then my plugin could use the cp or radarr apis to do its thing.

Any thoughts?