If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Direct play support for MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 audio.

two.bits.11two.bits.11 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

This was listed under "WHATS NEW:" in the 5.9.0 release notes, but I still see audio being transcoded. I am running 5.9.3. I am guessing that direct play only supports some of the audio formats. Is it direct streaming the video because it was forced to transcode the audio?

Best Answer

Answers

• trudgetrudge Posts: 2,288Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 16

that's AC3 audio that is trancoding, nothing to do with MPEG1 or MPEG2 audio. AC3 should already be supported - based on your shield settings.

You can only direct play when all the codecs and the container and supported.

only the video codec is supported in your example.

• AndrroidAndrroid Posts: 1,194Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

What is your shield connected to? What is the container of the file?

• two.bits.11two.bits.11 Posts: 21Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Thanks for the response. I apologize, but I only have a high level understanding of the containers, codecs, etc. I am not sure what MPEG2 audio means if not the audio being transcoded. Is there a different audio?

I have a Windows 10 based PMS version 1.5.5.3634. The media info is below.

Media:
    Video Resolution 720p
    Duration 1:00:00
    Bitrate 7228 kbps
    Width 1280
    Height 720
    Aspect Ratio 1.78
    Container MPEGTS
    Video Frame Rate 60p
    Web Optimized No
    Video Profile main

Part:
    Duration 1:00:00
    File Hubble's Amazing Universe (2008) - 2017-04-24 00 00 00 - Episode 04-24.ts
    Size 3.03 GB
    Container MPEGTS
    Web Optimized No
    Packet Length 188
    Video Profile main

Video:
    Codec MPEG2VIDEO
    Bitrate 6844 kbps
    Bit Depth 8
    Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
    Color Range tv
    Frame Rate 59.94 fps
    Height 720
    Level 4
    Profile main
    Ref Frames 1
    Scan Type interlaced
    Stream Identifier 3921
    Width 1280

Audio:
    Codec AC3
    Channels 5.1
    Bitrate 384 kbps
    Language English
    Audio Channel Layout 5.1(side)
    Sampling Rate 48000 Hz
    Stream Identifier 3922

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Show us your plex shield settings and tell us what your shield tv is connected to

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

So the important bits for your case:

Container MPEGTS

Video: Codec MPEG2VIDEO

Audio: Codec AC3

On the note of video, the Shield supports MPEG2 video but it does not support TS containers. Thus, it remuxes it to a compatible container (hence the direct stream). This is a low CPU process but still extra work your server is doing that wouldn't be necessary if the file was in a compatible container (like mkv).

On the note of audio, the Shield supports passthrough of AC3 audio to devices that support it. So if your Shield is connected to a TV or soundbar that does not support AC3 decoding, then it will transcode the audio.

We need to know what your Shield is connected to.

My Shield is connected to my Yamaha RX-V375 AV receiver before going to my Panasonic TC-P50GT50. I am able to Direct Play with the Plex for Kodi add-on. I guess the add-on must be transcoding locally on the Shield.

The add-on doesn't transcode. It's either the Kodi player decoding DD or bitstreaming it.

One more thing to check. Need to know what settings you have for the Plex app regarding passthrough.

As @danjames92 requested

• danjames92danjames92 Posts: 3,241Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
    edited May 17

@two.bits.11 said:
    My Shield is connected to my Yamaha RX-V375 AV receiver before going to my Panasonic TC-P50GT50. I am able to Direct Play with the Plex for Kodi add-on. I guess the add-on must be transcoding locally on the Shield.

HDMI?

Does the amp support AC3?

Show us your plex settings!!

Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub

I will provide the Plex settings this evening. The TV manual says nothing about supported audio formats. The amp has no mention of AC3 support, but it does support MPEG4 AAC.

AC3 is Dolby Digital. Your receiver supports the audio codec of the file.

Here's the thing. We don't know what your Plex or Kodi settings are. My guess is you haven't adjusted either, so they are the default. This would mean Kodi is decoding the Dolby Digital (AC3) signal and then passing it along.

Plex cannot do this as it uses the Shields native player. The native player does not support decoding, only bitstreaming (passing the signal along to the next device in the HDMI chain). However, this needs to be enabled in the Plex app (and the Kodi app for that matter).

edited May 18

I assume you only care about the following settings:

Direct Play: Auto
    Direct Stream: On
    Passthrough: Disabled

I switched Passthrough to Auto and it is now Direct Streaming both video and audio. I wonder if setting my Plex DVR to Remux Only will put recordings in a compatible container for Direct Play.

Different show, but same result.

Thanks guys!