Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

First time Linux user/Ubuntu server set up

steve.key-smithsteve.key-smith Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I have just bought a second hand Dell R710 server with twin Xeon 2.67 processors with 24gb of RAM. I have not yet started the installation, I am looking at using Ubuntu server but this will be my first experience of Linux. I know there is no GUI and input will be by the command line. My question is what else will I need to install with PLEX? I am going to install OpenSSH and Samba. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Steve

Best Answers

Answers

• gjaltembagjaltemba Members Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16

PMS installs on Ubuntu out of the box. It is the custom configuration that dictates what you will need to install. Curious why choose Ubuntu when Dell supports Suse, Redhat, and Solaris.

My personal preference would be virtualization with ESXI. You can run 20 PMS installs on your R710.

• steve.key-smithsteve.key-smith Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Hi gjaltemba
    Thanks for quick response, I was looking at Ubuntu as it seems to be the most popular/easiest & stable to use for a newbie. I have just gone on the 'Download Plex Media Server' page and it only mentions downloads for Ubuntu, Fedora and CentOS. Also can you explain the benefit of running 20 PMS, I am willing to try it :smile:

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,990 Plex Team Member
    Accepted Answer

PMS and Fedora play just fine together. I use it for both personal and providing support here.

It is easily customized using the standard /etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf file (SystemD standard).

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.

• steve.key-smithsteve.key-smith Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

I have just started on setting up the Dell R710 server, a bit later than planned but the Dell R710 does not see the 4 x 2TB hard drives in it. I believe it needs a RAID controller, but I am unsure how to proceed. I have a 4 x sata backplane. I have a cable already plugged in the backplane but I believe it to be a SAS and not Sata. I would appreciate any thoughts, I appreciate any help as I know this forum is mainly about Plex and that is the reason for doing this server/Linux project.

• CoxeroniCoxeroni Members, Plex Pass Posts: 334 Plex Pass
    edited July 11

@steve.key-smith said:
    I have just started on setting up the Dell R710 server, a bit later than planned but the Dell R710 does not see the 4 x 2TB hard drives in it. I believe it needs a RAID controller, but I am unsure how to proceed. I have a 4 x sata backplane. I have a cable already plugged in the backplane but I believe it to be a SAS and not Sata. I would appreciate any thoughts, I appreciate any help as I know this forum is mainly about Plex and that is the reason for doing this server/Linux project.

Depending on your hardware, maybe you are just missing a driver/module?

Edit: Judging by https://dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/server-poweredge-r710-tech-guidebook.pdf the server have a raid controller included, or am I wrong?
    Maybe this helps:

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 14,990 Plex Team Member

@steve.key-smith said:

Having done what you have with the HP systems, this should not be much different.

The Dell specs for this model are here https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/r710-spec-sheet.pdf . This shows Linux is supported.

I have the most success when creating a Live USB stick to boot from. The Fedora Live USB can also be used to install with. This USB will be dedicated to this task.

The 'trick' here is to install the OS on the main 'boot drive'. This drive is not part of the raid set. The BIOS is pointed to this device to boot from.
    After having completed all OS installation and updates, restart the unit and enter the BIOS again.

This is now a decision point for you. The type RAID you select here will determine how easily you can expand later. If you create a static-provisioned RAID volume, if the controller supports this, you will need upgrade all drives to their newer (larger) size before being able to utilize any of the newly added space. If, however, you create a LV-provisioned (storage pool) RAID volume, as you replace and regenerate the parity for each drive, you will be able to utilize the new space incrementally.

Returning to your OP, I would first configure the controller BIOS for JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) or leave the controller as 'passthrough' (flat) disk controller. Verify stable operation between OS and the one drive you will use as the OS drive.

Please DISABLE Verbose logging until requested

Please search before posting

Primary support forums: Linux, Synology, and QNAP

Please remember to report back. This benefits others.

Useful links

Installation and Basic Setup |  Media Preparation (How to name your media files)  |  Linux Permissions 

Handling TV Specials | Handling Movie extras  |  Nas Compatibility List

Reporting Plex Server issues | Plex Media Server FAQ

Other useful guides: Local Subtitles | The Plex "dance" | Synology FAQ | PMS Release Announcements | Linux Tips

No technical support via PM unless offered

Please remember to mark the appropriate answer(s) which solved your issue.