If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Library scanning not able to see mounted Samba or NFS shared content. What am I missing?

armorer1984armorer1984 Posts: 4Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

So after reading and tinkering for days I have not been successful and posting a new thread is my last resort before taking a hammer to the whole thing. Here is my dilemma.

I have been using Plex on a Fedora21 install for a long time. Everything works flawlessly with my media libraries. However, I am making the move from a dedicated Fedora machine to virtualization allowing more functionality on my home network. My setup is a ProxMox hypervisor with a RAID 1 array holding the VM's. I also have another RAID 1 array managed by ProxMox as a shared NFS server to be used by the VM's.

One of my VM's, called "PlexVM", is Ubuntu Server v17.04. PlexVM is a mounted NFS client, mounted at "/mnt/nfs here:

chris@plex:/mnt/nfs$ ls -l
total 60
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 21:41 backups
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 21:42 documents
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 21:42 dropbox
drwxrwxr-x 38 chris users 4096 May 15 22:41 music

Inside the music folder is a few of the folders from my existing, operational media folder:

chris@plex:/mnt/nfs/music$ ls -l
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 22:12 009 Sound System
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 22:12 009 Sound System -
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 22:12 18
drwxrwxr-x 2 chris users 4096 May 15 22:13 1984

By my understanding, the Plex user should be able to see these folders when adding the music media location as "/mnt/nfs/music", however nothing is discovered by a scan. I have added the Plex user to the following groups as troubleshooting measures to no avail. Seems to me from the permission of the folder any user should be able to read and descend into the directories, let alone a member of the group.

chris@plex:/mnt/nfs/music$ groups plex
plex : plex root users chris

So after banging my head against the wall for two days with NFS, I decided to try accessing the files through another VM serving up the NFS shares to windows clients as CIFS. Kind of hackish but I decided to try it anyway. I mounted my Samba share on my PlexVM at "/mnt/samba/music"

chris@plex:/mnt/samba$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 15 22:41 music

chris@plex:/mnt/samba/music$ ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 15 22:12 009 Sound System
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 15 22:12 009 Sound System -
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 15 22:12 18
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 May 15 22:13 1984

Once more I tried to scan the new music library location "/mnt/samba/music" but was unsuccessful. The log gives a helpful line:

May 16, 2017 18:31:45.231 [0x7feb58725800] WARN - Skipping directory [/mnt/samba/music] as it no longer exists

Which is strange, because as shown above, it is clearly there.

Does anyone have any helpful insights here? By the file and folder permissions the Plex user should be able to see these files and folders. My naming scheme works on my other machine so I know that can't be the issue. I know the drives are mounted as I can move things around and change them from the PlexVM cli.I have flat out run out of things I can think of to try to make this work. This is the last piece of the puzzle I need to make fit before I can transition over to the new hardware and go live. Any thoughts?

Answers