Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

using the SHIELD has a media server and storage questions

Toph Bei FongToph Bei Fong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass

How does storage work? I use my PC as my media server and I have external hard drives connected to them. Do I need to plug the hard drives into the shield itself? So can I access them over my network (SHIELD and PC hooked to the same router) I don't have a NAS device so I was wondering on how can I do this. I don't want to use my PC for transcoding.

Best Answers

• Toph Bei FongToph Bei Fong Members, Plex Pass Posts: 84 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@kegobeer-plex said:
    You have to properly configure your Windows computer for sharing. By default only a few things are shared. I'd find a good tutorial or two via Google on how to share drives/directories in Windows.

I went into the drives properties and enabled sharing and whatnot but it still didn't work. I'm not exactly sure what I need to be looking for or what to enable. Thee's things like permissions, passwords....etc. I need to know exactly what I need to enable so the SHIELD can see those externals. Any guide you recommend?

Answers

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,572 Plex Employee
    Logs > https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

I found where I can add my PC as network storage but when I tried to add my PC it asks for my username and password. I don't know where to get this info. I'm using windows 7 on my PC

I had just found that but I'm having issues with the username and password. I never made one so I don't know why it's asking

• BigWheelBigWheel Members, Plex Employee, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 9,572 Plex Employee
    edited May 16

not a windows expert. i thought a u:p was required in windows these days

( sorry of you saw that opensubtitles stuff I had two windows open ) checking on SMB windows with some other folks

The shield i believe has an option to connect as guest if your windows share allows that

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,122 Plex Pass

@Toph Bei Fong said:
    I had just found that but I'm having issues with the username and password. I never made one so I don't know why it's asking

Did you install Windows 7 on that computer?

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

edited May 20

I added a password and was able to get the SHEILD to see my PC but I have one issue..... the SHIELD see's my PC's main storage device but it doesn't see the two external hard drives I have connected. Is there a way to make the SHIELD see them?

• kegobeer-plexkegobeer-plex Members, Plex Pass Posts: 5,122 Plex Pass

You have to properly configure your Windows computer for sharing. By default only a few things are shared. I'd find a good tutorial or two via Google on how to share drives/directories in Windows.

Where are my log files?

How do I properly name my media files?

NVIDIA SHIELD SMB/NAS Sharing How-To - / - NVIDIA SHIELD Support Documents

Plex Server: 1.7.5 running on ThinkServer TS140 w/Server 2012 R2 Essentials
    Primary Plex Player: Shield TV, always the latest beta build, always the latest firmware revision

Accepted Answer

@kegobeer-plex said:

I went into the drives properties and enabled sharing and whatnot but it still didn't work. I'm not exactly sure what I need to be looking for or what to enable. Thee's things like permissions, passwords....etc. I need to know exactly what I need to enable so the SHIELD can see those externals. Any guide you recommend?

I think I figured it out. I had to go to security and allow everyone to share it. This may work out very well. How many streams can a SHIELD transcode at once?