Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Sony Bravia 75W850C - anyone have multi-channel sound working?

Been quite a while with many updates to the Android app but still stereo only via optical. Has anyone gotten multi-channel sound working with this TV lineup?

The closest I have is the Plex app in Kodi but I recently noticed that TrueHD 7.1 is not working. It, too, outputs stereo only but I don't know if it was working before my TV firmware was updated to Android Marshmallow and is now broken (?).

Anyway, has anyone figured out how to get passthrough working? I have seen posts with modified Android.xml profiles, various sound settings on the tv, Plex for Kodi sound settings, etc.?

The closest I have is using PCM on the TV sound settings combined with the Plex add-in in Kodi, and the IEC device in the Kodi settings. Is this the only way? If so, does TrueHD work in Kodi or did this break with Android MM?

I'm not sure if I should be pissed at Plex or Sony, or maybe both, but I'm at my wits end with this crap. If someone has found the secret, please list what settings (tv sound as well as app settings) you have working as it would be very much appreciated.

Best Answer

Answers

• n.aeschlimannn.aeschlimann Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hello Aycardus,

I have a Sony 65SD8505 with a Sonos Playbar and just like you I am not able to output 5.1 via Optical. It did not work either with Android 5.1.1 ;-)

I also tried all the settings you can change (TV Sound, Plex Passthrough, xml profiles, etc), it just doesn't work.

Plex and Sony won't tell anything about it. Already tried to contact both of them about this issue with no luck.

My Apple TV is working great with Plex.

• zpaolo11xzpaolo11x Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Also consider that the TOSLink connection (optical audio) has a limited bandwidth and while it can transmit 2 channel PCM, it can only transmit compressed (usually dolby digital on Sony) 5.1 and is probably not enough for any "HD" sound format. Also sometimes TV manufacturers artificially limit optical output to 2 channel PCM and do the downmix internally...