If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Can I use Plex to improve my playstation setup?

The CurlsThe Curls Posts: 1Members

So a while ago I ripped all my dvds onto a hard drive and I have that hard drive plugged into my playstation. Which works really well because whenever I watch a movie it is really only through the playstation onto my tv whether it be a dvd or Netflix or whatever. But the interface on the playstation is really bad and I was looking for a way to improve this, google search says plex.

So I download the plex app on my playstation to find out I need an account which I can only setup on my laptop. Then is says it can't connect to the server so I then find out that I need to download an app on my laptop as well. Done all this and the program won't open.

I can uninstall it and start again but I am a little worried that i'm going to all this effort and this isn't going to achieve what I want it to achieve. Why do I need a program on my laptop so a program on my playstation can read files on my playstation? Is this just setting up the program and I need to change some settings or will I be in a situation where I need my laptop switched on just to have the nice interface?