Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

External USB NTFS disk Linux for PMS (Chucks's guide)

vctechvctech Members Posts: 7

Hi smart people,

So, I've tried several times to use Chucks's guide to get my WD My Passport external USB drive set up, but am having issues.

I've borked my fstab file about 3 or 4 times, so it's obvious I am missing something or not following the guide correctly.

One thing I notice is the name of the drive seems truncated when checking

ls -la /disks

See screen caps for my steps following Chuck's guide. I stopped at the actual edit of the fstab.

Any replies or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Best Answers

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,631 Plex Team Member
    edited May 17

Please show me your fstab (the working one).

Next, Please tell me the following (we'll figure out what's missing from the guide... it still is '99% dry but officially draft')

1. Which drives go where (device name and mount point other than /media when using Gnome desktop)
    2. Username and Group name who owns the diretories
    3. results of sudo blkid /dev/sd?? for each drive we're mounting . Please paste as Text, not screen capture
  • vctechvctech Members Posts: 7
    edited May 18

Thanks for taking the time. FYI, started from scratch again (fresh load of Ubuntu/PMS) haven't done any steps of guide.

"Which drives go where (device name and mount point other than /media when using Gnome desktop)"
    -Sorry to be dense, not sure exactly what you mean here? (linux noob)

"Username and Group name who owns the directories"
    -See above.

results of sudo blkid /dev/sd?? ---

root@mark-HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-USDT-PC:/home/mark# sudo blkid /dev/sdb1
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="My Passport" UUID="4E1AEA7B1AEA6007" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="19f2a69a-01"

Un-altered fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
    UUID=e6b1c1e9-de8b-40cd-937b-448e786198ec /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=86655bf0-b49f-4e5b-8394-07818842f6bf none            swap    sw              0       0

Sorry this got posted as text making the thread/post look like sh*t.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,631 Plex Team Member

I fixed it for you.. "Code" paragraph formatting. That's my mistake for not telling you.

Thanks so much, appreciate your time.

Followed step and drive mounts and can be seen as desired by PMS -but, when I try to navigate to/open drive in gnome I get error (see screen cap)

I have not booted since fstab edit, is that issue?
    Or could it be in the mount instructions you gave you listed drive as "passport" instead of "My Passport" ?

Great, thank you!
    However, now comes the issue of permissions for the drive and folders within. I am not the owner and therefore can't add media for PMS. root is listed as owner (see screen cap) Note: I still have not booted post-fstab edit.

edited May 18

My apologies, the hour was late when i wrote the fstab for you.

sudo chown -R /disks/passport
    sudo chmod 755 /disks /disks/passport

All the above is in the document I wrote.

What wasn't clear that makes more sense here?

Thanks for the help.

Still not quite there (issue with "sudo chown -R /disks/passport" command)
    See below:

root@mark-HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-USDT-PC:/home/mark# sudo chown -R /disks/passport
    chown: missing operand after ‘/disks/passport’
    Try 'chown --help' for more information.
    root@mark-HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-USDT-PC:/home/mark# sudo chmod 755 /disks /disks/passport
    root@mark-HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-USDT-PC:/home/mark# ls -la /diskstotal 12
    drwxr-xr-x 3 mark mark 4096 May 18 09:30 .
    drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 May 18 09:30 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 May 15 15:33 passport

To answer your question regarding the guide: I think perhaps I was making errors the alignment in the fstab edit. -Also I was using My Passport instead of just "passport" as you did.

edited May 18

DOOOH! :facepalm:

sudo chown -R mark /disks/passport

TOTAL brainfart. Sorry

Understand, NTFS has no sense of ownership like Linux. Regardless what it reports for username in the Passport's directories, with permissions of 777 (read/write/execute) there are no restrictions.

For future reference? Should I be tired or you're interested in learning how to administer your system, Linux comes with all the command line documentation built in. The man command (manual) is how you access it. man man tells you how to use it and what it can do :)

Think I'm all set now.

Can't thank you enough for all your replies and help and the tip administering my system.

THANK YOU!

Linux is fun; Linux is VERY powerful; Linux's learning curve is not for the timid.