Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Plex Pausing At Night

jdagjdag Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Strange issue over the past couple of weeks. I've noticed that Plex will pause playback when watching at night.

I often run a playlist as I fall asleep. Plex used to play straight through the night, but now it is pausing (I've not yet noticed a pattern as to how long before it pauses).

This morning, to test, I ran the same playlist and episodes were played without any pausing.

Is there some new time-based setting somewhere?

I am watching via an AppleTV 4.

Answers

• OttoKernerOttoKerner Posts: 24,377Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Plex Ninja

Compare those 'pausing' times with the time frame set as Plex 'Maintenance Period'.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/202197488-Scheduled-Server-Maintenance

Help others too - by reporting back with your results!
    Have you checked the Documentation before posting a question in the forums?
    Use the SEARCH function before starting a new thread!
    No PMs unless requested, please! Do not use 'verbose' logging
  • jdagjdag Posts: 39Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I don't think that's the issue. I looked at PlexPy and see 3 occasions where a video was paused for 300-450 minutes (i.e. - until the morning when I woke up). There's no consistency as to the time of night that the pause began. In some cases it is just after midnight after already playing several episodes. In other cases it is pausing during the 1st episode.

Beyond that, all of the observed pauses are before the 2am-5am period when scheduled maintenance is set.

Lastly, this is something that just began happening in the past week or 2.

Moving this thread to the Apple TV forum.
    Because I myself don't have any experience with the device.

• WhateverWorks1728WhateverWorks1728 Posts: 8Members ✭✭

Um, Otto? It's not just an Apple problem. I use windows. Same thing happening on an all in one (using web app) to run. I'm finding that playback has just stopped at some point. I would like to be the one who chooses how my collection is played back to me, please.
    We're not Netflix. Some of us do not have a bandwidth limitation. So could I please be in control of my own collections playback options?

• rsavarsava Posts: 2,739Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Question for @jdag - Do you set your TV to timer and have the TV shut off?

R Sava

I have not experienced this issue in about 2 months or so. It is odd, seems to come and go.

• ChingaderaChingadera Posts: 11Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Still happening here, always in the middle of the night. Tempted to just set my timezone 12 hours off to avoid this.

Has not happened to me in months.

@Chingadera said:
    Still happening here, always in the middle of the night. Tempted to just set my timezone 12 hours off to avoid this.

Have you read my first response above?