Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Problem with App after update to version 2.008 (subtitles & theme music, translation)

cheremocheremo Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

Hello,
I use the Plex App (2.008) on my Samsung Tv (UE50JU6900). Got the update recently. With 2.005 all was working well.
Steps which i tryed to fix the problems: Factoryreset TV, reinstalled plex.

First problem
If I enable the theme music (its set on by default) for tv series my soundbar always reduces the sound level by 2 steps when it starts theme music.
Got if fixed by myself: preferences -> Sound/subtitles "theme Volume" was set to 50% by default. If i set it to 100% this bug does no longer appear.

I think this is not working as intended?

2nd problem
Subtitles are totally bugged.

• As default set "use Tv-API" is selected in the options. With this option nothing appears (I also looked in my Tvs settings but no chance)
  • with the "transcode after" the complete app crashed or was loading to death
  • with "transcode before" selected it works (but also seems a bit broken) - I need to press the options Button during the video playback and have to choose "enable embedded subtitles" (the greyed out dot in the pic) for every movie again (it also not working with saving the settings in the playback options), if I dont do i also cant see subtitles.

• the german translation has a unreadable text overlapping in the subtitle options (see screenshot)

• the app shows in the options "audio language" as unknown (mb this is causing the subtitle bugs?).

Any chanced to get this all fixed? :)

Answers

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,224 Plex Ninja

Theme music volume is a new feature, people complained that some themes were too loud.

Subtitles TV API only works for internal subtitles (inside the movie like MKV)
    Transcode subtitles is only needed on 2012 models were Samsung broke subs for the API (you don't need it)

You can enable subtitles by default inside the preferences settings.

The German translations are made by fans, you can fix those yourself on this site. > https://plex.getlocalization.com/plex_samsung/

May I suggest that you first download the manual from the link below. It will explain all this.

• cheremocheremo Members Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited May 18

Thanks for your Answer. Maybe my english is not so good that you could understand me correctly.. So I'll try it again :)

@Orca said:
    Theme music volume is a new feature, people complained that some themes were too loud.

The Problem I had (with the 50% setting) is, that it shifts down my complete system-volume by 2 steps, but does not shift up again.
    If i have my volume set to 8 my TV is muted after selecting 4 episodes. My Soundsytem (a Samsung Soundbar) is connected via the Samsung anynet @ HMDI.

@Orca said:
    Subtitles TV API only works for internal subtitles (inside the movie like MKV)

As i said - it does not work. I have a 2015 samsung UE50JU6900. With 8.005 all was working well.

With "transcode before" its working BUT i need to open the Movie setting during the playback and select "eingeblendete untertitel aktivieren" (enable subtitles). Its always grayed out. and the system detects the audio stream language as "unknown".

I noticed now something weird - Plex transcodes every movie File instead of direct stream. I dont know why... Maybe this has something to do with the not working subtitles?

I could send you a video about this behavior if u cant reproduce it.

@Orca said:
    The German translations are made by fans, you can fix those yourself on this site. > https://plex.getlocalization.com/plex_samsung/

thanks!

@Orca said:
    May I suggest that you first download the manual from the link below. It will explain all this.

i firstly have looked into it. But my problems arent fixed ;)

1. Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n36YcMhvioM&feature=youtu.be
      first: my Audio/Subtitle settings
      2nd: you can see the volume stepping down when i open a episode (and never up!)
      3rd: you can see that no subtitles appear (with option transcode before) - I need to press during playback "B" and enable Subtitle. It does not detect the language also.

2. Video https://youtu.be/-nDk66BqFl0
      first playback setting: set to "use TV API" -> no subtitles
      2nd playback setting: set to "transcode during" -> loading to death :(

• OrcaOrca Plex for Samsung Developer Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 7,224 Plex Ninja

The volume reduction is only applied when theme music is playing. When the player stops, the volume is restored to the previous level, even if you TV may not show it (it doesn't show anything on my 2014 model)

The reason why the subtitle settings are grayed out is because the movie is transcoding. In that case the server is burning the subtitles into the movie before streaming it. My best guess is that there something wrong with the subtitle track and the server has issues rendering it. You would have to ask the server guys why they won't show up. Have you tried an different server version yet?
    The TV API subtitle setting only works with Direct playing, that is the only time when all tracks are available to the app.

BTW when a track shows "unknown" then it just doesn't have any language info, hence the unknown tag.
    The thing with the audio seems strange though, it looks like it couldn't even decide on which codec it is using (may be the reason for transcoding in the first place)

Could be interesting to pull up the xml from the library info.
    Open the season on Plex web, then hover over the episode and click the 3 little dots.
    Then click the "Get info" button. On the screen that shows up, press view xml.
    Paste the info in here (or attach it as a file), so I can have a look.

edited May 18

thanks for your answer and the explanation.

The volume reduction is only applied when theme music is playing. When the player stops, the volume is restored to the previous level, even if you TV may not show it (it doesn't show anything on my 2014 model)

Hm not here. But i know how to fix (set the Theme Volume to 100%)
    Heres the xml data:

<MediaContainer size="1" allowSync="1" identifier="com.plexapp.plugins.library" librarySectionID="2" librarySectionTitle="TV-Serien" librarySectionUUID="064a190d-7308-4492-bf1e-cd86ea109179" mediaTagPrefix="/system/bundle/media/flags/" mediaTagVersion="1492033170"><Video ratingKey="2979" key="/library/metadata/2979" parentRatingKey="2978" grandparentRatingKey="2944" guid="com.plexapp.agents.thetvdb://121361/1/1?lang=de" librarySectionID="2" librarySectionKey="/library/sections/2" type="episode" title="Der Winter naht" titleSort="Winter naht" grandparentKey="/library/metadata/2944" parentKey="/library/metadata/2978" grandparentTitle="Game of Thrones" parentTitle="Staffel 1" contentRating="TV-MA" summary="Ein Deserteur der Nachtwache bringt erschreckende Nachrichten von den Ländern nördlich der Mauer, und Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark soll die Hand des Königs Robert Baratheon werden." index="1" parentIndex="1" rating="7.8" viewCount="1" lastViewedAt="1495100650" year="2011" thumb="/library/metadata/2979/thumb/1494347115" art="/library/metadata/2944/art/1494347121" parentThumb="/library/metadata/2978/thumb/1494347121" grandparentThumb="/library/metadata/2944/thumb/1494347121" grandparentArt="/library/metadata/2944/art/1494347121" grandparentTheme="/library/metadata/2944/theme/1494347121" duration="3697152" originallyAvailableAt="2011-04-17" addedAt="1490446085" updatedAt="1494347115" chapterSource="media"><Media videoResolution="720" id="7677" duration="3697152" bitrate="6987" width="1280" height="720" aspectRatio="1.78" audioChannels="6" audioCodec="dca" videoCodec="h264" container="mkv" videoFrameRate="24p" audioProfile="dts" videoProfile="high"><Part accessible="1" exists="1" id="7763" key="/library/parts/7763/1490300146/file.mkv" duration="3697152" file="censored :)" size="3228877516" audioProfile="dts" container="mkv" videoProfile="high"><Stream id="16656" streamType="1" default="1" codec="h264" index="0" bitrate="3915" bitDepth="8" chromaSubsampling="4:2:0" frameRate="23.976" hasScalingMatrix="0" height="720" level="41" profile="high" refFrames="9" scanType="progressive" width="1280"/><Stream id="16657" streamType="2" selected="1" default="1" codec="dca" index="1" channels="6" bitrate="1536" language="Deutsch" languageCode="ger" audioChannelLayout="5.1(side)" profile="dts" samplingRate="48000" title="DTS 5.1 @ 1536 kbps"/><Stream id="16658" streamType="2" codec="dca" index="2" channels="6" bitrate="1536" language="English" languageCode="eng" audioChannelLayout="5.1(side)" profile="dts" samplingRate="48000" title="DTS 5.1 @ 1536 kbps"/><Stream id="16659" streamType="3" default="1" forced="1" codec="srt" index="3" language="Deutsch" languageCode="ger" title="DE forced"/><Stream id="16660" streamType="3" selected="1" codec="srt" index="4" language="Deutsch" languageCode="ger" title="DE komplett"/><Stream id="16661" streamType="3" codec="srt" index="5" language="English" languageCode="eng" title="EN komplett"/></Part></Media><Director id="5817" filter="director=5817" tag="Tim Van Patten"/><Writer id="5815" filter="writer=5815" tag="David Benioff"/><Writer id="5816" filter="writer=5816" tag="D. B. Weiss"/><Extras size="0">
    </Extras></Video></MediaContainer>

Ok, maybe the 2015 models are unable to set the volume when there is no playback, I'll have a look.
    That xml looks ok, The app should be able to direct play that.
    What happens if you set the playback mode manually to Direct Play instead of auto?

when i choose "direct play" it says also "transcoding". Maybe because of transcoding dts to aac? But it also says h264 to h264...
    I made a logfile with debug set on in the app. Maybe you can see there something? :) I've sent it to you via PM.

It looks the app does restore the volume, the volume value is a 0 to 100 value.
    Can you check what it records when setting the theme volume to 50%.
    I want to check if it sets the correct value, if it does then the TV isn't actually updating the volume somehow.

DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Set theme volume to: 9
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Restored normal volume to: 9

The transcode happens because apparently the server has a problem deciding if the set allowed bandwidth is enough to direct play this. Because it reports Unknown it falls back to using transcoding as a precaution.

DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - DirectPlay profile check
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - [Container  : mkv] --> OK
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - [Video codec: h264] --> OK
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - [Audio codec: dca] --> OK
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Direct Play result: 1
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - [DirectPlay possible]
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Main.js] - Transcoding Quality: [10]
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Server is remote, checking for allowed bandwidth
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Transcode.js] - Transcoder decideUrl: https://...
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Server decision: 0: Unknown
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Bandwidth result: 0
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Player starting Transcode: https:

The server is obviously remote, but is this a hosted (Plex Cloud) server or a shared one?
    Please go to Preferences > About and check which version of the PMS is shown there.

edited May 19

It looks the app does restore the volume, the volume value is a 0 to 100 value.

Can you check what it records when setting the theme volume to 50%.
    i looked into it. i have set the volume to 50%
    DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Set theme volume to: 9 DEBUG - [PlexforSamsung] [Player.js] - Restored normal volume to: 9
    shouldnt be there diferent numbers now? :)

The server is obviously remote, but is this a hosted (Plex Cloud) server or a shared one?
    Please go to Preferences > About and check which version of the PMS is shown there.

Its my own remote server (dedicated @ OVh@100mbps) with PMS installed.
    Version 1.5.5.3634 (last)
    my home bandwidth is 30mbps download.