Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Why am I having issues streaming 4K content from Plex on my desktop to my LG 60UH7700 4K Smart TV?

budmonsterbudmonster Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

I have a LG 60UH7700 SUPER UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV. It has Plex on it.

I'm trying to stream a 4K TV show from my desktop computer to Plex on my Smart TV. I have the new Verizon Fios Gigabit which gives you 940/880. I'm able to play 4K content on my Smart TV using the Netflix & Amazon apps that are installed with no issues. However, when I try to stream this 4K video listed at the bottom, I don't see 2160p or 4K under settings? How do I know if I'm truly streaming this video in 4K?

My desktop PC can handle up to 1000Mbps I believe as motherboard is a ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150. If you click on the Specifications tab it says

Onboard LAN
LAN Chipset: Intel I218V
Max LAN Speed: 10/100/1000Mbps

Here is the MediaInfo:
https://pastebin.com/raw/Vv2eiwdh

I have the Fios Quantum Router, it's the latest from Verizon and I have to use it as I have cable as well. Anyways, I'm just wondering what am I doing wrong here? I have a 4K video I want to stream from my PC. My PC can handle it (unless I'm totally missing something), my TV has Plex and can def handle 4K streaming. I play tons of Netflix & Amazon movies and TV shows in 4K. What's the issue?

Answers

• Gdr56Gdr56 Members Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭

@budmonster said:

I'm trying to stream a 4K TV show from my desktop computer to Plex on my Smart TV. I have the new Verizon Fios Gigabit which gives you 940/880. I'm able to play 4K content on my Smart TV using the Netflix & Amazon apps that are installed with no issues. However, when I try to stream this 4K video listed at the bottom, I don't see 2160p or 4K under settings? How do I know if I'm truly streaming this video in 4K?

My desktop PC can handle up to 1000Mbps I believe as motherboard is a ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150. If you click on the Specifications tab it says

Onboard LAN

Here is the MediaInfo:

I have the Fios Quantum Router, it's the latest from Verizon and I have to use it as I have cable as well. Anyways, I'm just wondering what am I doing wrong here? I have a 4K video I want to stream from my PC. My PC can handle it (unless I'm totally missing something), my TV has Plex and can def handle 4K streaming. I play tons of Netflix & Amazon movies and TV shows in 4K. What's the issue?

From Plex FAQ
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207339358-Does-Plex-Media-Player-have-support-for-4K-

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

• budmonsterbudmonster Members, Plex Pass Posts: 46 Plex Pass

@Gdr56 said:

@budmonster said:

Onboard LAN

Here is the MediaInfo:

From Plex FAQ
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/207339358-Does-Plex-Media-Player-have-support-for-4K-

Check this out:
    http://imgur.com/2lYiKML
    http://imgur.com/fxu32Ra
    http://imgur.com/silZlVg

It says 4K, but when I click on settings it says 9.1Mbps 1080p Original?

edited May 18

@Gdr56 said:

@budmonster said:

Onboard LAN

Here is the MediaInfo:

From Plex FAQ

Check this out

It's say 9.1Mbps 1080p Original. When the files video bit rate is 47Mbps. I'm a little confused.

The following page is more appropriate , to me it looks like it down scaling then TV Up scales. What's odd some 1080P movies I use are well in excess of 100Mbps.

When you mentioned your router, that is not the correct way to protect your self with IOT's put a Gigabit switch with NAT between your Computer and Router, one port to router/ outside world, the rest to your local ethernet devices. That way your Local Plex LAN traffic stays out of Router, there cheap at amazon or Ebay. TLink low power 5 port is about $10 US for a example or use a old router in Bridge mode if you like to utilize old gear.

A link:
    https://www.grc.com/nat/nat.htm

For Network settings make sure you have ** Duplex** : Full-Duplex and not (Flow control)

TV:(1). LG 65UB950T UHD Smart TV, (2). Hisense 50K3300UW.Receiver Onkyo TX-NR646 Network Receiver, ARC configured. Satellite TV: Foxtel Australia Q2. Blu- ray Player: Playstation PS3.Server: iMac Late 2015, 32Gb Ram, 3.2GHz Intel i5 Skylake processors.Storage: 3 WD External USB3 HDD. Devices: 2 iPad Air 2 connected with AC Wifi Dual Band. Network: Gigabite Ethernet hardwired , 5 outlets with Cat 6 and 2 Ethernet switches, Full Duplex, AVB mode enabled Remotes: Onkyo ios app, Plex ios, Onkymote, LG Magic remote.Speakers: Bowers and Wilkins Floor Standing Fronts and Mordaunt-Short Genie, Centre, 200W Powered Sub & 4 Satellite Surrounds. Configured for 7.1 Channels.

edited May 18

@Gdr56 said:
    The following page is more appropriate , to me it looks like it down scaling then TV Up scales. What's odd some 1080P movies I use are well in excess of 100Mbps.

When you mentioned your router, that is not the correct way to protect your self with IOT's put a Gigabit switch with NAT between your Computer and Router, one port to router/ outside world, the rest to your local ethernet devices. That way your Local Plex LAN traffic stays out of Router, there cheap at amazon or Ebay. TLink low power 5 port is about $10 US for a example or use a old router in Bridge mode if you like to utilize old gear.

A link:

For Network settings make sure you have ** Duplex** : Full-Duplex and not (Flow control)

I think I fixed it? In the settings menu via the Plex app on my TV; I turned off "allow direct play" and "allow direct stream".

All of a sudden "4K 48Mbps" pops up in the "Quality" drop down menu. What does direct play/stream even do and why did unchecking them seem to fix it? This was all done in the settings menu via the LG Plex app. I have no idea what I did lol. Just curious on what direct play & direct stream are and why unchecking them to seem to fix it or at least shows 4K in the drop down menu now. If I check the boxes again I only can see "20Mbps 1080" as the highest quality?

edited May 18

@Gdr56 said:

A link:

I think I fixed it though? Don't know why it works now. In the settings menu via the Plex app on my TV, I turned off "allow direct play" and "allow direct stream".

All of a sudden "4k 48Mbps" pops up in the "Quality drop down menu. What does direct play/stream even do and why did unchecking them seem to fix it? His was all done in the settings via the LG Plex app. I have no idea what I did lol. If I check the boxes back I lose the 4K option and the highest quality I see is "20Mbps 1080p".

edited May 18

@budmonster said:

@Gdr56 said:

A link:

I think I fixed it though? Don't know why it works now. In the settings menu via the Plex app on my TV, I turned off "allow direct play" and "allow direct stream".

All of a sudden "4k 48Mbps" pops up in the "Quality drop down menu. What does direct play/stream even do and why did unchecking them seem to fix it? His was all done in the settings via the LG Plex app. I have no idea what I did lol. If I check the boxes back I lose the 4K option and the highest quality I see is "20Mbps 1080p".

Good find, you must be happy with that outcome.

• SR_PennySR_Penny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

Holy sh*t, man, you just solved my own 4K/UHD issues with this little find. Thanks!

• SR_PennySR_Penny Members, Plex Pass Posts: 21 Plex Pass

@SR_Penny said:
    Holy sh*t, man, you just solved my own 4K/UHD issues with this little find. Thanks!

Ok, so turns out that that didn't fully fix things for me.

Turning off Direct Play and Direct Stream improved things slightly. Gone was the weird freezing and distortion, but buffering still happened after approx 30 seconds and regularly after that, continuing to make any 4k content unwatchable.

I played around with these settings and it seems that having Direct Stream on was causing the freezing and distortion.
    Just having Direct Play on (and Stream off) played the content correctly, but, again, buffering occured.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they'd be most welcome!