If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Error: not enough bandwidth for any playback

Answers

• FeMasterFeMaster Posts: 9Members ✭✭

It's apparent that nobody cares, or nobody can figure it out. The lack of communication on a problem that has been ongoing for a whole lot of people for 3 months is a pretty good sign of that. Logs have been provided by a number of different people, per request, and still nothing; not even a little blip to say, "We are working on it".

Pathetic really...

• ff4500ff4500 Posts: 15Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Newest Plex update installed and I still have the same issue. Is anyone from Plex looking into these issues?

• swindmillswindmill Posts: 6Members ✭✭

The lack of activity here seems to indicate that no, Plex is not looking into these issues :(

Perhaps the grass is greener over on the Emby side. I'm going to give that a try to see if it lets me stream from my Roku again.

@swindmill said:
    Perhaps the grass is greener over on the Emby side. I'm going to give that a try to see if it lets me stream from my Roku again.

Yeah, I have Emby installed alongside Plex on the machine I'm having issues with. It works flawlessly on the files that Plex is having fits on anything with 5.1 audio on. I've been a Plex Pass subscriber for a long time because I like the interface, etc, but that may end if I can't get media to play with it on my MEDIA center.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,803Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

If this is an issue that also occurs on Plex players other than the Roku or reverting back to an early version of Plex Media Server resolves the issue (as many users in this thread have state), then this is NOT an issue with the Plex app for Roku.

It is an issue with Plex Media Server and you should post the issue to the section of the forum for Plex Media Server on your operating system, since any resolution for the issue would need to be addressed in the Plex Media Server software.

If you do not have another Plex player app to isolate the cause of an issue, you can always use the hosted Plex Web app (plex.tv/web) from the browser on any computer, tablet, or phone other than your Plex Media Server computer. See Opening Plex Web App.

Make sure the device is connected to your home network in the same way (Ethernet or wireless) and from the same distance as your Roku (do not connect wirelessly and stand next to your router if your Roku is connected wirelessly on the other side of your home). And on the Plex Web app, you can disable direct play under Settings > Web > Player (Show Advanced) by unchecking Direct Play to ensure the Plex Web app is transcoding the media also.

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First
    FAQ for Channel Plugin FAQ

• dbt986dbt986 Posts: 2Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I rolled back to an earlier version of PMS (1.5 something I think) and the error went away. A few days ago I updated PMS to the latest version (1.8 something from the Plex Pass download link - Ubuntu Linux 64 bit) and the error did not reappear. I guess the error is present in PMS 1.6 & 1.7 and got fixed? My Rokus are working just fine now and I'm a happy camper.

BTW it would be nice if we could easily download old versions of PMS from the official plex download site. I had to go all google-fu to find an older version from who-knows-where (and if it wasn't school holidays...).

As it's been stated before, this is a Roku/Plex specific issue. I haven't seen any older versions of Plex posted that are available to use, and I don't have them locally. I have two different computers running the exact same version of Plex on the same OS. One is an Intel i3 and one is an AMD FX. I can watch everything (with transcoding) from the i3 machine, but not the AMD. Emby works fine with the same files on the AMD machine.

Web client works fine on both.
    Apple TV works fine on both.
    Roku 3 works fine on the i3, not on the AMD, fine with Emby.
    Roku Premiere works fine on the i3, not on the AMD, fine with Emby.
    Fire TV works fine on both.
    Chromecast works fine on both.

If someone can direct me to older versions of PMS to test, I'll be happy to downgrade and see if I can get the AMD to function correctly. When I installed it initially, it was the newest version and didn't work out of the box on the Rokus.

@ff4500 said:
    As it's been stated before, this is a Roku/Plex specific issue. I haven't seen any older versions of Plex posted that are available to use, and I don't have them locally. I have two different computers running the exact same version of Plex on the same OS. One is an Intel i3 and one is an AMD FX. I can watch everything (with transcoding) from the i3 machine, but not the AMD. Emby works fine with the same files on the AMD machine.

Web client works fine on both.
    Apple TV works fine on both.
    Roku 3 works fine on the i3, not on the AMD, fine with Emby.
    Roku Premiere works fine on the i3, not on the AMD, fine with Emby.
    Fire TV works fine on both.
    Chromecast works fine on both.

If someone can direct me to older versions of PMS to test, I'll be happy to downgrade and see if I can get the AMD to function correctly. When I installed it initially, it was the newest version and didn't work out of the box on the Rokus.

Are you saying that you started out with an older version and upgraded PMS some number of times on the i3 but started out with the newest version on the (not working) AMD machine?

My recent experience was that my Xeon based server running CentOS 7 worked just fine with an old version of PMS that had been upgraded many times over a year or so. I started having the issue after I installed a clean Fedora 26 OS and the newest 1.7.5 version of PMS.

Could part of the problem be starting out fresh with a recent version of PMS versus starting with an older version and relying upon the upgrade process some number of times?

@swindmill said:
    Are you saying that you started out with an older version and upgraded PMS some number of times on the i3 but started out with the newest version on the (not working) AMD machine?

Yes, exactly. The i3 has been running Plex for years, with upgrades installed usually a few days after they're released. The AMD machine is a new build for a HTPC that I plan on relocating my media center stuff to. The initial Plex version on it was 1.7.something and now is sitting at 1.8.1.4139. Both machines are on Ubuntu 16.04.

• shopgirl284shopgirl284 Posts: 2,803Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Forum Moderator Plex Ninja

@ff4500 said:

@swindmill said:

Yes, exactly. The i3 has been running Plex for years, with upgrades installed usually a few days after they're released. The AMD machine is a new build for a HTPC that I plan on relocating my media center stuff to. The initial Plex version on it was 1.7.something and now is sitting at 1.8.1.4139. Both machines are on Ubuntu 16.04.

Please include logs for Roku and PMS. See https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201869908-Log-Files

Many issues and questions can be resolved by reviewing the Plex Support Documentation
    Providing details about your issue, Plex setup, and including log files are important when when asking for help on the forums.
    See Log Files
    Before posting channel plugin questions or issues, please review the pinned threads at the top of the Channel Plugin forum:
    READ FIRST: Guidelines for Posting Channel Plugin Issues/Questions and Things to Check First

Hmmm, strange. I was able to fix my issue by uninstalling PMS 1.8.1 (plexmediaserver-1.8.1.4139-c789b3fbb.x86_64.rpm) outright and reinstalling PMS 1.7.5 (plexmediaserver-1.7.5.4035-313f93718.x86_64.rpm).

Videos that would previously give the bandwidth error play without issue now.

Tried rolling back to 1.7.5 just now (plexmediaserver_1.7.5.4035-313f93718_amd64.deb) by figuring out the Plex download URL scheme and downgraded. Same error on 5.1 audio movies. Back to the drawing board.

And I was wrong, I have 17.04 on the AMD machine, but that should really matter from 16.04 THAT much.

Here's my logs from Plex from just now. The Roku log didn't log much, but I tried two video files (both 5.1) and they just gave me this error. Also, updated back to 1.8.1.4139 and tested it again with the same. Attached are the logs for all.

@ff4500 said:
    Tried rolling back to 1.7.5 just now (plexmediaserver_1.7.5.4035-313f93718_amd64.deb) by figuring out the Plex download URL scheme and downgraded. Same error on 5.1 audio movies. Back to the drawing board.

And I was wrong, I have 17.04 on the AMD machine, but that should really matter from 16.04 THAT much.

Did you happen to uninstall/remove PMS 1.8.1 before rolling back to 1.7.5? That seemed to be what made the difference for me but my understanding of the "solution" is still less scientific than I'd like.

A few users having this issue will need to submit a sample file that causes this bandwidth error to see if the issue can be recreated. See Generating Sample Files from Media.

Make sure to include as much information about your Plex system as possible in your post, so those who analyze the file will be able to better understand your setup and recreate the issue. See "Reporting Issues" section of the Forum Community Guidelines

See Log Files

Also include the XML info for the media that causes these bandwidth errors and you send a sample of. See the "XML Information" section of Investigate Media Information and Formats

See Log Files

• FeMasterFeMaster Posts: 9Members ✭✭

@swindmill said:
    Could part of the problem be starting out fresh with a recent version of PMS versus starting with an older version and relying upon the upgrade process some number of times?

I can say that this wouldn't apply to me. I had a perfectly working system for well over a year and a half, through many upgrades, before things stopped working for me after upgrading PMS. My server runs on a Synology NAS with a Marvell Armada XP MV78230 processor.

• lorddoskiaslorddoskias Posts: 70Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Having this issue as well when trying to stream to a remote user using chrome. I'm on Plex 1.5.7, but the issue happens even on the 1.8 releases. Basically, everytime he clicks to watch something it shows him watching multiple copies of it on my end, and give him a bandwidth exceeded error.

I have tried removing the upload speed limit and changing the remote web player bandwidth between 3mbs and original. Nothing seems to help. This has been happening to me for weeks now with this remote client. We never used to have issues.

See attached my logs from shortly after a recent occurrence.

Dedicated PLEX server
    -Dell PowerEdge T20 Mini-tower Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1225 v3 Quad-core (4 Core) 3.20 GHz - 4 GB Installed DDR3 SDRAM
    -Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS 64bit
    -Sillicondust HD Homerun Connect

• dandavidsdandavids Posts: 1Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Snapshot of the log showing the error (Plex Media server.log)

Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.161 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - MDE: Vlog 1450: Direct Streaming is disabled, so video stream will be transcoded
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.161 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - MDE: Vlog 1450: no remuxable profile found, so video stream will be transcoded
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.161 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - Scaled up video bitrate to 15000Kbps based on 1.500000x fudge factor.
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.162 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - Scaled maximum bitrate for resolution reduction to 937Kbps.
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.162 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - Clipped max bitrate to 461Kbps based on client-requested limit
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.162 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - MDE: Vlog 1450: Audio Direct Streaming is disabled, so video's audio stream will be transcoded
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.163 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - MDE: Vlog 1450: selected media 0 / 51742
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.163 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - Streaming Resource: Could not fit playback within bandwidth limit of 12000kbps
    Aug 19, 2017 19:56:11.164 [0x365d7400] DEBUG - Streaming Resource: Reached Decision id=41836 codes=(General=2000,Neither direct play nor conversion is available. Direct Play=3000,App cannot direct play this item. Direct play is disabled. Transcode=4004,Not enough bandwidth for any playback of this item. Cannot convert to below minimum bandwidth of 103kbps.)

In my Roku player settings, I have direct Stream set to Auto. I get the above error. However, when I set the Direct stream to 'Forced' in Roku, there's video playback but not audio. Prob because the audio is not compatible and has to be transcoded for it to work, and yes - my speakers work as I can hear all the Roku menu clicks within the flex app. So transcoding issue between the Roku Plex app and the server perhaps??!

Streaming (direct stream) works well while viewing the same video on my Mac-safari, PC-Chrome.

Roku Player v4.4.1
    PMS v1.8.1.4139

• Kryptonit3Kryptonit3 Posts: 18Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

I have the same issue. All of my local devices have no issue (RasPlex, Roku 3, TCL Roku 4K TV, Android Plex App) but my friends on my server are getting this error. It is only when using a "Channels" IPTV app. When they stream movies and tv shows no issues. I tested Plex Android app on my phone; when on wifi on my local Plex network channel IPTV streaming works fine, switch off wifi and go to mobile data I get bandwidth error. I have tried clearing out upload limit on remote server settings page, I tried manually editing preferences file "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Preferences.xml" to remove the upload limit parameters, still no go.