Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Preferred source for duplicate files

thammithammi Members, Plex Pass Posts: 1 Plex Pass

Hi,
is it possible to determine which files gets played when I have the exact same file multiple times in my library? I am thinking about a system with a big slow storage source (for example a cloud storage) and a smaller faster storage source for files HD files I am currently interested in (local storage or faster cloud).

Is such a scenario currently supported in Plex? Does anybody have experience or suggestions on how to build it yourself (probably using unionfs)?

Answers

• trumpy81trumpy81 Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja Posts: 8,641 Plex Ninja

If you have the same file multiple times, but in different formats, within the same library, Plex will group the files together and will automatically select the appropriate file to use based on your Plex client's capabilities.

You may use Plex Cloud which will store your files on your chosen cloud based service, such as OneDrive, Google Drive etc... and you may select that Cloud server on your Plex client in order to view/play your files stored there, but Plex will not combine files stored in the cloud with files stored on your Plex server.