We will be performing plex.tv database server maintenance starting 22:00 Pacific Time on Wednesday, June 28 (05:00 GMT, June 29). It is expected to last ~1.5 hours. See http://status.plex.tv/incidents/c1t6djj5vq9r
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Updating to 1.6.1.3722 on Ubuntu 15.04 breaks super user privileges?

cstokes86cstokes86 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Hi folks,

The other day I noticed I couldn't sudo from the 1 user account I created on my Ubuntu instance. Unable to determine why I restored to a previous image of my server that had no updates or channels added. This instance was running Plex media server 1.5.2. I found that I could sudo from my "media" account without issues.

I performed the installation of plexmediaserver_1.6.1.3722-4955e31cf_amd64.deb per usual. Everything seemed normal, until I rebooted.

Upon reboot I could still login without issues, but now when I try to sudo anything (even rebooting) it says the media user isn't in the sudoers file:

This is a very basic installation of Ubuntu with no additional applications installed other than what's required during the installation.

I'm unable to determine what changed during the installation of the package and it certainly has never happened before. Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated, otherwise I may end up building a non-Ubuntu server and see if the issue persists.

Thanks!

Answers

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,731 Plex Team Member

Plex doesn't go anywhere near /etc/sudoers. It uses useradd and usermod in addition to creating the home directories in /var/lib/plexmediaserver

I would look in your Ubuntu update logs and see what updates you received. Something isn't right there. It seems as if your /etc/sudoers was reverted to an earlier (default) state.

I would also directly to root and avoid all the sudo usage until you get it sorted out.

• cstokes86cstokes86 Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass

Thanks, @ChuckPA

I used the sudoers file as an example to show I can't elevate my privileges. Part of this issue is I never setup a password on the root user and since I can't elevate to root to set the password, I'm effectively locked out of root access. I will check through the logs and see what happened, but it's certainly unusual that this would happen in unison with the plex update.

• albertcardalbertcard Members, Plex Pass Posts: 37 Plex Pass

Well if you can't access 'root' and your user doesn't have sudoers permissions, your easiest way to gain 'root' would be to reboot your system and boot into single-user mode by way of GRUB to change your 'root' password. Then you'll just have to remember it.

• ChuckPAChuckPA Members, Plex Pass, Plex Ninja, Plex Team Member Posts: 13,731 Plex Team Member

@cstokes86 said:
    Thanks, @ChuckPA

I used the sudoers file as an example to show I can't elevate my privileges. Part of this issue is I never setup a password on the root user and since I can't elevate to root to set the password, I'm effectively locked out of root access. I will check through the logs and see what happened, but it's certainly unusual that this would happen in unison with the plex update.

The default /etc/sudoers file permits you to elevate yourself to root by specifying your password.

Once there, you may then change root password to permit su

OR

Add the following to the bottom of the /etc/sudoers file using sudo visudo (adjust for your username)
    chuck ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

• EddieAEddieA Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

Could this issue have removed the ID from the groups, which could break sudo if access is granted based on group membership.

Cheers.

let me see what you did to it. If it's at the default, except for additions at the bottom (this is important), it won't have impacted anything else.

In a worst-case scenario, create a new sudoers file, reboot to the live disk, mount the root partition, make the exchange and be certain to set the file ownership and permissions correctly. It will not work if incorrect (assumes tampering)

• allawishousallawishous Members, Plex Pass Posts: 3 Plex Pass
    edited May 20

This has just happened to me. Updated Plex on Ubuntu and it broke my user. It removed me from all groups and added me to a group called "video".

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.02 LTS

What's that about?????? Now I have to fix my sudo privs!
    Recall that update file asap!

which version did you install? It was fixed a while ago now.

@ChuckPA said:
    which version did you install? It was fixed a while ago now.

I installed 1.6.1.3722 .

Damn it. I found it.

My apologies. There was a regression.

I've filed the urgent bug fix to engineering, pointing out the specific line and fix to implement.

No problem. Glad it's found