If you have not already, we suggest setting your Plex username to something else rather than email which is displayed on your posts in forum. You can change the username at https://app.plex.tv/desktop#!/account
Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Does Rasplex Include the DVR?

RogersNeighborhoodRogersNeighborhood Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass
edited May 18 in Rasplex

It's now bundled with the PMS in the standard platforms, so what about Rasplex?

This may be a moot question, at least for users who require transcoding (I don't). But it seems the Pi 3 ought to be able to handle recording.

Jack

Linux Administrator
Raspberry Pi Hobbyist
piforall.com

Tagged:

Comments

• rosslevrosslev Posts: 7Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Rasplex is a plex client, not a server. plex DVR functionality is built into the server. You will be able to playback recorded files on the rasplex client, but for standard definition recordings, it requires the MPEG2 plugin to avoid transcoding.

• RogersNeighborhoodRogersNeighborhood Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Oops. I saw that a while back (on the Rasplex site), but forgot it's a client. I have enough client options, I'm just trying to find an efficient option for a dedicated server, and don't need to transcode.

Thanks.

Linux Administrator
    Raspberry Pi Hobbyist
    piforall.com

• videotecaCNSUvideotecaCNSU Posts: 311Validating, Plex Pass Plex Pass

You need to fins the Raspberry as PMS discussions. It doesn't have a proper group in the forum but there are a lot of themes here and on the linux pms

• UlthorUlthor Posts: 9Members ✭✭

For plex on a pi3 you will want to follow the instructions from here: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-plex-server/
    I have my pi3 running as a plex server myself and its doing just fine. I also have everything stored as mp4 format so virtually no need to ever transcode.
    I am thinking about going over to emby and testing that out also.

• RogersNeighborhoodRogersNeighborhood Posts: 57Members, Plex Pass Plex Pass

Moderators, feel free to close this one. The reply from rosslev was the answer. My question was about PMS, not the client.

Jack

Linux Administrator
    Raspberry Pi Hobbyist
    piforall.com