Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Really simple PMS / Raspberry Pi Question

RogersNeighborhoodRogersNeighborhood Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass

I apologize in advance because I'm sure it's been answered before--but the most relevant thread was already 82 pages long and I can't read through 82 pages (some of which may no longer be current).

Does the Linux for Raspberry version of PMS include DVR functionality?

(And I'm cheating now, second simple question) Is the Pi 3 powerful enough to manage recording (without transcoding) as well as serving up media?

I'm wanting to get PMS off my laptop. :)

Thanks.

Best Answers

• RogersNeighborhoodRogersNeighborhood Members, Plex Pass Posts: 50 Plex Pass
    Accepted Answer

@DMackG said:
    Yeah Jack it works surprisingly well as long as you don't try to transcode. Plays flawlessly. I never found the time to play with with the post processing scripts but I bet it would be more of a head ache. Make sure the client device can handle the .ts files and it's all a go!

No need for post processing, and don't have ts files. I don't need to transcode, because the HDHomeRun Extend takes care of transcoding.

So far, it seems good. The TV app seems be a little faster than when I was running PMS from my laptop. I have some recordings scheduled, but haven't yet recorded anything.

I'll report back after it's done a couple of recordings.

Jack

Answers

I guess I'll have to just buy one, and try it for myself. ;)

Jack

The RPi should arrive Monday. I hope I can find that 32Gb memory card around here. I'll eventually add a USB drive, but for now, I'll be using a WD My Cloud drive for storage (via NFS).

I'm amused at the idea of working with a Pi. My day job has me working with SUSE linux on servers with 256 CPU cores, and 8 T (yes, terabytes) of RAM (yes, that's memory, not storage).

Yes I'll report back.

Jack

• DMackGDMackG Members, Plex Pass Posts: 205 Plex Pass

Yeah Jack it works surprisingly well as long as you don't try to transcode. Plays flawlessly. I never found the time to play with with the post processing scripts but I bet it would be more of a head ache. Make sure the client device can handle the .ts files and it's all a go!

Accepted Answer

@DMackG said:

No need for post processing, and don't have ts files. I don't need to transcode, because the HDHomeRun Extend takes care of transcoding.

So far, it seems good. The TV app seems be a little faster than when I was running PMS from my laptop. I have some recordings scheduled, but haven't yet recorded anything.

I'll report back after it's done a couple of recordings.

Jack

Update: DVR functionality works fine on the Pi 3. Playback is also good. Once again, that's without any transcoding, because all the transcoding I need gets done by the HDHomeRun Extend.

One issue that I haven't yet resolved--
    It was announced yesterday that PMS with DVR is no longer beta, and now allows apps to manage DVR functionality. Some apps (including the ios app) have added this feature. However, the PMS version that I have for the Raspberry Pi apparently doesn't support this. It looks like it may not be an official version, I'm not sure. But I'll ask about that in a separate topic.

Jack