Welcome to our forums! Please take a few moments to read through our Community Guidelines (also conveniently linked in the header at the top of each page). There, you'll find guidelines on conduct, tips on getting the help you may be searching for, and more!

Streaming Issues, Apple TV 4, WD My Cloud PR2100

rafaellua@me.comrafaellua@me.com Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Hi there, I am a brand New Plex Pass member and new to Plex and NAS. I am having issues streaming to my Apple TV 4 as well. When I have Direct Stream enabled, the playback is choppy on some of my videos (i.e.., Avatar, Storks in .mkv format). When In disable Direct Steam on my ATV4, the video playback is clear, however it takes a long while to load and has buffering issue a couple of minutes in... I have no such problem watching Plex through the Plex app on my MacBook, on the same network, and with Direct Stream and Direct Play enabled. Videos play immediately and without issue on my MacBook. Any idea or help would be great. I am using the WD My Cloud PR2100 for my NAS and did upgrade it to the latest Plex Media Server for the PR2100. Thanks so much in advance for your help...

Answers

• rafaellua@me.comrafaellua@me.com Posts: 12 Plex Pass

Update: I wanted to make sure to take a moment and update everyone on my progress. As I mentioned before, I was having choppy video problems playing .mkv from my WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS when using direct stream, and slow buffering in the beginning and during playback on direct stream (with direct play off). I was able to downgrade my PMS on my NAS from 1563790 to 1613722. Result: I still got choppy video on Direct Stream, HOWEVER, using only Direct Play with Direct Stream checked off plays my videos flawlessly with very quick buffer before start. I was able to watch Storks and Miss Peregrine's etc.., flawlessly all the way through. Needless to say, I am a very happy camper. A couple of other notes, I did disconnect my ATV from my powerline adapter and am connecting wirelessly which gives me MUCH quicker transfer speeds (must be an ATV issue). Also, I did check off "experimental hardware acceleration" option, but I'm not sure how much that made a difference. All I know is it's working and I don't want to mess with it.... Hope this helps.

PLEASE HELP! I now have a problem with the new Plex player app on the apple TV. It seems that the new Apple TV Plex App update (1.11) no longer has the options to select Direct Stream or Direct Play. I had resolved past issues by simply selecting Direct Play and keeping Direct Stream checked off, and this was working beautifully. Now, videos that had choppy play in the past are playing choppy again. I downgraded my PMS for my WD My Cloud PR2100 from 1.71 to 1.61, but this did not help. Please help and restore the options to uncheck Direct Stream or let me know how to downgrade my apple TV app so I can have these options in the settings back...

@rafaellua@me.com said:
    PLEASE HELP! I now have a problem with the new Plex player app on the apple TV. It seems that the new Apple TV Plex App update (1.11) no longer has the options to select Direct Stream or Direct Play. I had resolved past issues by simply selecting Direct Play and keeping Direct Stream checked off, and this was working beautifully. Now, videos that had choppy play in the past are playing choppy again. I downgraded my PMS for my WD My Cloud PR2100 from 1.71 to 1.61, but this did not help. Please help and restore the options to uncheck Direct Stream or let me know how to downgrade my apple TV app so I can have these options in the settings back...

FYI, @hsousa posted an answer to my question in the following thread: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/272790/help-what-happened-to-direct-play-option-on-just-updated-atv-plex-app#latest. Thought this might be helpful for some that are dealing with the same issues. They are looking into the problem and possible solutions.

Rafael